Instant Pot Hamburger Baked Beans are super flavorful, hearty and filling. This recipe is easy to make and a favorite easy dinner. Pressure cooker hamburger beans are sometimes called Cowboy Beans or Calico Beans.
Instant Pot Hamburger Baked Beans
I get asked by my readers all the time what my favorite Instant Pot Recipe is.
This one. I love this recipe so much! It's funny that I recently learned that many people call them Calico beans. I had never heard of them. I guess these are very similar, but with a different name.
What I Love About This Recipe
• Tons of flavor.
• Easy to make.
• Uses lots of pantry items.
• So delicious!
• Great texture.
• Nice and filling!
Full disclosure: this recipe has several ingredients. But don't worry, they are found in most people's pantries, or easily at the grocery store.
The ingredients are what you will find in a GOOD baked beans recipe. The combination is what makes the awesome flavor.
The steps to make this recipe are easy. Here they are:
If you want to add some smoky bacon, which is so delicious, just cook it with the ground beef.
As you can see, it's all about layering the ingredients and not stirring them to avoid that dreaded BURN error!
Then just put the lid on and seal it.
This recipe has a short pressure cook time, but it will take several minutes for the pressure to build because the pot has a lot in it.
These delicious pressure cooker hamburger baked beans are a bit saucy, and that sauce is full of flavor, so be sure to get some with every serving!
You can serve these hamburger beans as a side dish, or as a main dish. They go well with buttered crusty bread.
You Might Also Like
You can call them Cowboy Beans or Calico Beans if you like, but when I made up this recipe, I decided to call them Hamburger Beans. Then I learned about the other names.
I guess it's not that surprising that something like this has been done before! 😉
Pin This Recipe
Did you make this delicious pressure cooker hamburger baked beans recipe? Please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd like to know how you liked it!
Instant Pot Hamburger Baked Beans
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 lbs Lean Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 1/2 lb Smoky Bacon chopped* (optional)
- 4 cloves Garlic pressed or finely minced
- 1 cup Water
- 1 -28 oz can Baked Beans such as Bush's®
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 -15 oz Red Kidney Beans** drained and rinsed
- 1 -15 oz can Black Beans** drained and rinsed
- 1 -15 oz can Garbanzo Beans** drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- Turn on the Sauté setting. When hot, add the oil and onion. Sauté for a few minutes, then add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up the meat, until mostly done.
- Add the garlic. Stir well.
- Pour in the water and stir.
- Pour in the baked beans. Do not stir.
- Add the chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika (or liquid smoke), and pepper.
- Add the remaining beans. Do not stir.
- Add the ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, molasses, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Do not stir.
- Close the lid and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to select 4 minutes. High Pressure. The pot will take several minutes to come to pressure.
- When the cook cycle has finished, immediately turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to Quick Release the steam/pressure. Do this carefully, and watch to make sure no sauce spews out with the steam. If it does, close the knob and open again slowly.
- When the pin in the lid drops back down, open the lid and stir the beans. They will be a little saucy, that's how they should be. They will thicken up a little as they cool down.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.