With our Copycat Disney Corn Dogs recipe, you can experience some food from the happiest place in the comfort of your own home! These copycat Disneyland corn dogs are tasty treats, and are similar to the beloved Disneyland classic that captures the essence of the real thing. Whether you are reminiscing about your last Disney adventure or just want the best corn dogs for dinner, this delicious recipe is a winner!
Tasty hand-dipped corn dogs are almost always present at the most fun places we go. The county fair, carnivals, the circus, and of course, the wonderful Disney Parks!
You might be surprised and happy to learn that making homemade corn dogs is not that difficult at all.
This copycat recipe has become my signature corn dog. Well,the family loves the way I make them and they request them often!
What kind of Hot Dogs are Best to Use?
- When making Copycat Disneyland Corn Dogs, the type of hot dog you choose can have a significant impact on the flavor and overall experience. Here are a few options to consider:
- Classic Beef Hot Dogs - These are the traditional choice and are likely what you'd find in the original Disney corn dogs. They have a familiar, hearty flavor that pairs well with the cornmeal batter.
- Pork Hot Dogs - Pork hot dogs can be a bit milder in flavor compared to beef, but they still provide a delicious and satisfying taste. They often have a slightly different texture that can add an interesting twist to your corn dogs.
- Turkey or Chicken Hot Dogs - If you're looking for a leaner option, turkey or chicken hot dogs are a good choice. They have a lighter taste and can be a healthier alternative.
- Vegetarian or Vegan Hot Dogs - For those who prefer plant-based options, there are a variety of vegetarian and vegan hot dogs available.
- Specialty Flavored Hot Dogs - Get creative with flavored hot dogs like smoked, spicy, or even cheese-filled. These can add an extra layer of excitement to your corn dogs.
When selecting hot dogs, choose ones that you personally enjoy and that complement the flavors of the cornmeal batter. Feel free to experiment and find the perfect hot dog variety that suits your taste and creates a magical experience reminiscent of Disney's famous corn dogs.
What Kind of Oil Should I Use?
I like to use vegetable oil, but canola oil is a great option, too.
Where Do I Find Wood Skewers?
I have found mine at the local grocery stores. They were by the housewares (or ask an employee for wood kebab skewers). You can also find them on Amazon, and at other stores as well.
How to Make Homemade Corn Dogs
1. Prepare the Corn Dog Batter - In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the milk, egg, and melted shortening into the dry ingredients. Mix gently until you have a smooth, thick batter.
2. Preheat the Oil - In a deep, large pot or frying pan, heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Make sure there is enough oil to submerge the corn dogs completely (if only using a few inches of oil, you will flip halfway through).
3. Prep the Hot Dogs - Pat the room temperature hot dogs dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This helps the batter stick better. Insert wooden skewers into the center of each hot dog lengthwise.
4. Dip and Coat - Dip each hot dog into the corn dog batter, making sure they are evenly coated (hint: pour batter into a tall drinking glass, this works well for dipping).
5. Fry to Perfection - Carefully place the battered hot dogs into the hot oil, a few at a time. Fry to golden brown perfection, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking. This should take about 3-4 minutes (2-3 minutes per side, if using shallow oil). Once done, use a slotted spoon to remove the corn dogs and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. You can keep them warm on a paper towel-lined baking sheet in the oven on low heat.
6. Serve and Enjoy - Serve your Copycat Disney Corn Dogs warm. Don't forget the ketchup and mustard for dipping – it's the perfect finishing touch!
Don't Forget the Dipping Sauce!
- Copycat Disney Corn Dogs are often paired with a variety of delicious dipping sauces that enhance their flavor. Here are some of the most popular dipping sauces for corn dogs:
- Mustard: Classic yellow mustard is a timeless choice that provides a tangy and slightly spicy contrast to the corn dog's savory batter.
- Ketchup: A simple and familiar option, ketchup adds a touch of sweetness that complements the crispy outer layer of the corn dog.
- Mayonnaise: Creamy and rich, mayonnaise offers a smooth texture that balances the crunchiness of the cornmeal batter.
- Barbecue Sauce: For a smoky and slightly sweet flavor, barbecue sauce can add a delightful twist to your corn dog experience (try mixing bbq sauce with mayo for a creamy version).
- Honey Mustard: The combination of sweet honey and zesty mustard creates a yummy blend of flavors that pairs wonderfully with corn dogs.
- Ranch Dressing: Classic, creamy ranch dressing provides a cool and tangy counterpart to the warm and crispy corn dog exterior.
- Cheese Sauce: Indulge in a cheesy delight by dipping your corn dog into a warm cheese sauce, creating a decadent and satisfying treat.
- Sriracha Mayo: A blend of spicy sriracha and creamy mayonnaise creates a zesty and velvety dipping experience.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: This sweet and slightly spicy sauce adds an nice twist to your corn dogs, creating a unique flavor combination.
Feel free to mix and match these dipping sauces to create your own culinary adventure. Whether you're a fan of traditional flavors or eager to explore new taste sensations, these dipping sauces can elevate your corn dog experience to a whole new level of deliciousness.
What to Serve with Corn Dogs?
How To Store Leftover Corn Dogs
• Store the leftover Copycat Disney Corn Dogs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days.
• Freeze in a freezer bag (ziploc bag) up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating. Reheat in the oven, or even better, in an air fryer.
More Dinner Recipes You Might Enjoy
Even if you can't get to Main Street USA, or to a Disneyland Resort, you can still indulge in this delicious corn dog recipe. Let me know how you like it! You can leave a comment below with a star rating.
Copycat Disney Corn Dogs
- Frying Pan or Pot
- Mixing Bowl
- Wood Skewers
- Tall Pint Glass
- Food Thermometer
- Measuring cups and Spoons
- 1 package Beef Frankfurters / Hot Dogs
- Wooden Skewers (as many as needed)
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Corn Meal
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Shortening
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil
Prepare the Batter
- Gather all of your ingredients and tools together before beginning, to make the process easier.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in the beaten egg, milk, and melted shortening. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into a tall glass (a pint glass works well, you want it tall and narrow so the hot dog fits).
Heat the Oil
- Fill a frying pan about ¾ full with the vegetable oil. Start heating the oil over medium-high heat (You will want the temperature to reach 350°-375°F before frying).
Prepare the Hot Dogs
- While the oil is heating, insert the wooden skewers into the frankfurters/hot dogs lengthwise. Be sure the hot dogs are dry (pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture) Set aside.
Fry the Hot Dogs
- When the until oil reaches 350°-375°F, dip the frankfurters/hot dogs in batter until well coated. You may need to roll them in the glass to get the entire hot dog coated.
- Fry 2 to 4 corn dogs (depending on the size of your frying pan) at a time until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes, turning them frequently. Tongs may help with this.
- Remove using a slotted spoon or tongs. Drain the corn dogs on paper towels.
- Serve with mustard or other favorite dipping sauce.