Cheesy Funeral Potatoes is a classic potato casserole recipe that is creamy and cheesy with a crispy topping. A traditional hash brown casserole recipe made with simple ingredients. This cheesy hash brown casserole is perfect for gatherings, potlucks, parties, and yes, funerals, and more.
A Comforting Recipe of Cheesy Potatoes
Sometimes we need an extra dose of comfort, especially in hard times. Some of that comfort can come from food.
When comfort food is shared among friends and family, time and again, it can also become a tradition. Just so with Funeral Potatoes.
Why are They Called Funeral Potatoes?
The stories I heard have this cheesy hash brown casserole originating in Utah, and with the LDS (Mormon) community in particular.
One of the many services the Relief Society, a women’s organization within the Mormon church (motto: “Charity Never Faileth”), provides, is bringing easily prepared meals that feed a group to funeral dinners, wedding receptions, etc.
Why This Recipe is so Popular
• Easy to Make.
• Feeds Several People.
• Tastes delicious.
• Creamy and cheesy.
What Makes This Recipe Convenient
• Uses frozen hash browns.
• Uses canned cream of chicken soup.
• Can be made ahead.
• Not just for funerals!
Easy to Prepare Recipe
Bake for 25 minutes covered with foil, then about 15-25 minutes uncovered.
Serve Cheesy Funeral Potatoes nice and hot.
Can This Be Prepared Ahead?
Yes it can. Assemble the casserole, but don’t add the buttered corn flakes until just before baking it. They will be soggy otherwise.
Keep covered in the fridge. Take out and try to bring to room temperature before baking.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
Did you make this yummy Cheesy Funeral Potatoes casserole recipe? If so, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
- 8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 lg Onion, diced
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 (10.5 oz) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (I use 1 cup Monterey Jack and 1 cup Sharp Cheddar)
- 30 oz Frozen Shredded Hash Browns, thawed, if possible
- 3 cups Corn Flakes Cereal, crushed
- Heat oven to 375° F
- Spray a 13"x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, cook the onion in 4 Tbsp of the butter until soft.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Stir in the cream of chicken soup and the sour cream.
- Stir in the cheese and then the hash browns. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Then spread evenly and smooth the top.
Make the Topping
- Crush the corn flakes in a large zipper plastic baggie. Then pour into a bowl.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter and mix with the corn flakes, coating all of the crumbs. Then spread evenly over the potato mixture.
Bake the Casserole
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and bake another 15 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and bubbly, and the topping is browned. Serve.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.