Summer Melon Salad is a refreshing and delicious recipe with ripe sweet cantaloupe and strawberries, fresh herbs, and quinoa. This juicy melon salad recipe is a healthy salad recipe and is very versatile and full of fresh flavor.
Fresh Cantaloupe and Strawberry Salad
Here’s a beautiful, colorful, and nutritious Summer Melon Salad recipe that’s perfect to take to any potluck, party, or get together. When you don’t know what to make, this fruit filled Melon summer Salad is just the side dish to whip up.
It only takes a few minutes and you’ll have a delicious fruit salad to serve to your guests.
Hot summer days call for a cool, light and refreshing salad that has vibrant flavors and is good for you.
This summer fruit salad is the perfect blend of juicy cantaloupe with the freshness of strawberries and the crunch of cucumber and radish.
Tossed with quinoa and a handful of fragrant herbs, this salad is a treat.
Ingredients in This Summer Salad:
• Strawberries (adjust according to your preference)
• Cooked Quinoa
• Fresh Mint Leaves
• Fresh Basil Leaves
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Salt, Black Pepper
Tools You'll Need:
• Melon Baller or knife
How to Make Summer Melon Salad
1. Begin by washing and measuring all the ingredients. Ensuring everything is clean and ready will make the preparation process smooth.
2. Fill a pot with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the quinoa and cook it for about 8 minutes or until the grains triple in size. Keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking. Once done, drain the quinoa and set it aside to cool.
3. In the meantime, start building the salad. To a large bowl add the arugula leaves. Next, gently place the cubes of cantaloupe, shaved cucumber, sliced radishes, and sliced strawberries on top of the arugula.
4. Tear the fresh mint and basil leaves into small pieces and add them to the salad bowl. Season with salt and black pepper according to your taste. Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil over the salad.
5. Once the quinoa has cooled off, add it to the salad bowl. Using a large spoon or salad tongs, gently toss all the ingredients together until they are evenly combined.
6. To allow the flavors to meld together, refrigerate the salad for 15-30 minutes. This step will enhance the taste and texture of the salad, making it even more enjoyable when served.
7. After chilling, take the Summer Melon Salad out of the refrigerator. Serve it cold as a fresh side dish or a light lunch on a warm summer day.
Here are Some Ideas for Salad Dressings to Try with this Salad
- Citrus Vinaigrette: Combine the juice of half a lemon, the juice of half an orange, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Whisk everything together until well combined. The bright and tangy flavors of citrus will beautifully complement the melon and berries in the salad.
- Balsamic Honey Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. The sweet and tangy balsamic dressing adds depth and richness to the salad.
- Yogurt Herb Dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs (such as mint, basil, and dill), 1 clove of garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. This dressing provides a creamy and herbaceous element to the salad.
- Tahini-Lemon Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of tahini, the juice of half a lemon, 1 tablespoon of water, 1 clove of garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. The nutty and tangy flavors of tahini combined with lemon create a unique and flavorful dressing for the salad.
- Poppy Seed Dressing: In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of honey, 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Close the lid and shake vigorously until well mixed. The sweet and tangy poppy seed dressing adds a delightful crunch and flavor to the salad.
- Honey Lime Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the juice of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. The combination of tangy lime and sweet honey creates a refreshing and vibrant dressing that pairs wonderfully with the melon and berries in the salad.
Summer Melon Salad Tips and Variations
- Choose ripe fruit as it will taste the best in this salad.
- When cutting up the larger fruits and vegetables, try to cut them in similar bite-sized pieces, if possible.
- Cook quinoa properly: When cooking quinoa, make sure to follow the package instructions and cook it until it's tender. Overcooked quinoa can become mushy, so keep an eye on the cooking time and check for the desired texture.
- Adjust the sweetness: If you prefer a sweeter salad, you can drizzle a touch of honey or maple syrup over it. It will enhance the natural sweetness of the melon and strawberries. Taste the salad as you go and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- Try adding any of the following: cherry tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, salty feta cheese, or kalamata olives, or black olives.
What Else Could I Add In?
You can also add any of these options:
• Apple slices
• Watermelon or honeydew melon
• Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
• Lemons, limes, or oranges
• Pineapple chunks, mango, kiwi or grapefruit
• Banana slices
• Chia seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds
• Add in veggies like tomatoes, zucchini, tri-colored bell peppers, corn kernels, etc
• Garnish with some crumbled feta cheese
What to Serve With A Summer Melon Salad
This dish can go with any kind of main dish, it’s especially great for cookouts or grilling mains, but it can be served with anything or any other side dishes. Here are a few suggestions:
BBQ Chicken Thighs
Balsamic Pork Loin Roast
Fruit Salad Storage
• This salad is best enjoyed fresh, but If you have any leftovers or want to make this salad in advance, proper storage helps maintain its freshness.
• Transfer any remaining salad into an airtight container. Place the container in the refrigerator. The salad can be stored for up to 2 days.
• When ready to serve, give the salad a gentle toss to redistribute the dressing and flavors.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
This refreshing Summer Salad with melon is a true celebration of the season.
The juicy cantaloupe, sweet strawberries, and crisp vegetables, combined with the nutty quinoa and aromatic herbs, create a melody of flavors and textures.
Whether you're hosting a backyard barbecue or looking for a quick and nutritious meal, this salad is sure to impress. Enjoy the fresh and vibrant tastes of summer with every bite!
If you make this tasty salad recipe, please let me know. You can leave a comment with a star rating below.
- ½ cup Quinoa (rinsed well)
- 4 cups Arugula
- ½ Cantaloupe cubed
- 1 Cucumber shaved or sliced
- 2-3 Radishes sliced
- 1 cup Sliced Strawberries
- Mint Leaves to taste
- Basil Leaves to taste
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper or to taste
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash and measure the ingredients.
- Fill a pot with salted water and bring it to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa and cook it for at least 8 minutes or until the grains triple in size. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, start building your salad by placing in a large bowl: arugula leaves, cubes or balls of cantaloupe, shaved cucumber, radish slices, sliced strawberries, fresh mint & basil leaves, salt & pepper to taste, and olive oil.
- Once the quinoa cools off, add it to the salad bowl and toss all the ingredients until they are combined.
- Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to allow flavors to marry.