Easy Roast Chicken is a classic recipe for a tender, juicy roasted whole chicken. Along with some simple roasted vegetables, this is a classic, timeless meal that is very easy to make.
Easy Roast Chicken
I often get asked how to roast a chicken without it coming out dry. Many people want to use their oven to cook a delicious, tender chicken. The problem is that they haven’t been shown how to do it.
The technique of roasting a chicken is very simple, and today I’m teaching you how to do it!
You will want to find a whole chicken that weighs about 5 pounds (if you have a smaller or larger chicken, you will just cook it for a shorter or longer amount of time).
The flavor will come from fresh herbs, lemon, garlic, and simple salt and pepper. Delicious!
Stuff the chicken with lemon wedges, herbs, and garlic.
To keep the legs from overcooking, tie them together with some butcher’s string or kitchen twine. Be sure to remove it before serving.
Set the chicken on top of the vegetables. Then pour the melted butter over the chicken and sprinkle salt and pepper on it.
All you need to do now is pop it in the oven and let it cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Then check it for doneness.
You won’t need much to accompany this delicious meal. A fresh green salad would be perfect. Dinner rolls would also be nice.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
If you make this easy and delicious roasted chicken, please leave a comment with a star rating. I’d like to know how you liked it.
Easy Roast Chicken
- 5 lb Whole Chicken
- 1/3 cup Melted Butter
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 head Garlic cut in half crossways
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 6 sprigs Fresh Thyme divided
- 1 lg Onion thickly sliced
- 4 Carrots cut in 2" pieces
- 1 lb sm Red Potatoes quartered
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and save for another meal. Sprinkle the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the chicken with the lemon wedges, garlic, 2 sprigs of the rosemary, and 3 sprigs of the thyme.
- Tie the chicken legs together at the "ankles" using butcher's string or kitchen twine.
- Tuck the wing tips under the bird so they don't burn (alternatively you could snip them off).
- Arrange the remaining herbs, onion, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Add the olive oil and toss the veggies in it. Sprinkle with more of the salt and pepper and toss again.
- Place the prepared chicken on top of the vegetables, breast side up.
- Pour the melted butter over the chicken, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. If your chicken is larger or smaller, you can adjust the time.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a plate. Wrap loosely in foil and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Check the doneness of the chicken. The temperature in the thickest part should be 165° F. Another way to check is that the juices between the leg and thigh will run clear when pierced.
- Serve sliced chicken with some of the veggies.
Resources to Make this Easy Chicken Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.