Cube Steak with Onion Gravy is a classic easy dinner recipe. Thin beef steaks, tenderized and braised in a flavorful gravy make this a delicious meal. Serve these cubed steaks with potatoes and a salad for a complete dinner.
Cube Steak with Onion Gravy
Today I am sharing a blast from the past recipe of cubed steaks that we enjoyed as kids, and still do today! I’ll always remember those thin steaks with the weird criss-cross pattern in them.
Mom floured them up and fried them in hot oil before adding broth and braising them on low for a couple of hours. They were so tender you could cut them with a fork!
My family loves this meal, served on a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes, ready to take on the delicious onion gravy!
What is Cube Steak?
Cube steak is a cut of beef, often top round or top sirloin, tenderized and pounded flat and thin with a meat tenderizer.
The name refers to the sort of square shaped indentations left by the tenderizing process.
You can find cubed steaks in the grocery store meat department, usually in packs of 4 or 6. They are thin, but nice and filling!
The steps to make this cube steak recipe are pretty simple.
What to Serve with Cube Steak?
Our favorite side dish to serve with this recipe is mashed potatoes. The perfect vessel for all of that yummy onion gravy!
Some other accompaniments are rice, cauliflower rice, boiled potatoes, pasta, gnocchi, toast, or biscuits.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Cubed Steak Recipe
If you make this yummy cubed steak recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Cube Steak with Onion Gravy
- 12"-14" Skillet
- 4 Cube Steaks
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt 3/4 tsp table salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion thickly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cups Beef Broth low sodium
- Sprinkle both sides of the cube steaks with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a plate, mix together the flour, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Heat a 12" skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the butter and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove to a bowl.
- While the onion is cooking, dredge the cube steaks in the flour (both sides) and shake off the excess. Set aside.
- After cooking the onion, add the olive oil to the skillet. When hot, add the cube steaks. Cook about 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the beef broth, there should be just enough to cover the cube steaks. Then bring to a simmer, gently scraping up any browned bits under the cube steaks. Reduce heat to low and cover the skillet most of the way, leaving just a small gap for steam to escape.
- Cook for 1 hour, then add the onions to the skillet. Cook 1 more hour, or until the cube steaks are tender.
- Before serving you can thicken the gravy further with a mixture of 2 Tablespoons flour and 2 Tablespoons softened butter, or sprinkle in some instant mashed potato flakes.