This Slow Cooker Tomato Soup recipe has amazing flavor and so simple to make! If you are looking for a dinner recipe that is warm and comforting, easy to make, and packed with flavor, this Crock Pot Tomato Soup is a great choice! This creamy crockpot tomato soup is perfect for busy weeknights or a cold day.
As a soup lover, I'm always on the lookout for new and delicious soup recipes to make. And let me tell you, this classic tomato soup is a great recipe, it comes out so creamy and flavorful!
With its rich and creamy texture and robust tomato flavor, it's the perfect meal for a chilly day.
I really believe that old fashioned Tomato Soup is one of the best soup recipes ever!
One of the things I love about this soup recipe is how easy it is to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients and the help of your slow cooker, and you're on your way to a delicious meal.
Slow cooker soups are perfect for a cozy night in, or as a starter for a larger meal. And the best part? Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days, so you can enjoy it all week long.
The prep is very quick and requires little effort (just a bit of chopping).
Ingredients You'll Need for this Delicious Tomato Soup
• Butter or Olive Oil
• Onion and Carrots
• Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper
• Fresh Garlic
• Canned Crushed Tomatoes or Diced Tomatoes
• Optional - Tomato Paste
• Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth
• Half-and-Half or Whole Milk or Heavy Cream.
For garnish, you'll need Shredded Parmesan Cheese and Fresh Basil.
How to Make Tomato Soup in the Slow Cooker
1. First, get the prep done. Dice up the onion and carrots and gather the other ingredients.
2. Add the butter, onion and carrots to a hot skillet.
Now, I know some of you might be thinking, "Can't I just dump everything into the slow cooker and call it a day?" Well, technically, yes, you can. But if you have the time to sauté the vegetables, I highly recommend it. It adds so much depth and flavor to this easy slow cooker tomato soup, and it's worth the extra effort.
3. Sauté the onion and carrot in the skillet until they soften.
4. Then add the Italian seasoning, and stir well.
5. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the vegetables.
6. Add the pressed or minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until you start to smell the garlic.
7. Transfer the veggies to your slow cooker.
8. Pour in the canned crushed tomatoes.
9. Add the broth to the crockpot.
10. Add the half-and-half.
11. Give everything a good stir. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
12. Once the soup is done cooking, use an immersion blender to blend until you have a smooth soup.
(Alternatively, you can transfer about half of the soup to a regular blender and blend until smooth, then repeat with the remaining half. Just be sure to use caution when blending hot soup – hold the blender lid closed with a kitchen towel and pulse gently.)
13. Finally, garnish each serving with fresh basil and shredded parmesan cheese, and enjoy with some crusty bread!
Here are Some Variations of Tomato Soup to Make in a Slow Cooker
• Tomato Basil Soup: Add dried basil leaves to the soup for a herb-infused version.
• Roasted Tomato Soup: Roast fresh tomatoes in the oven until they are caramelized and add them to the slow cooker with the other ingredients for a deeper, richer flavor.
• Spicy Tomato Soup: Add diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes to the soup for a little kick of heat.
• Tomato Tortellini Soup: Add cheese tortellini to the soup during the last 20-30 minutes of cooking for a hearty, filling meal.
• Tomato and Vegetable Soup: Add your favorite vegetables such as zucchini, red bell pepper, or mushrooms to the soup for a nutritious and delicious meal.
You can also add cooked sausage or a rotisserie chicken for a hearty soup with extra protein.
Don't be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create your own unique version of this classic soup.
- To use fresh tomatoes in Slow Cooker Tomato Soup, blanch them, peel off the skin, chop them, and add them to the slow cooker in place of the canned tomatoes in this recipe.
- The cooking time may be slightly shorter when using fresh tomatoes, as they tend to cook faster than canned tomatoes. Check the soup after a few hours to see if it's done or needs more time.
- Using fresh tomatoes in this recipe can take a little extra time and effort, but the end result is definitely worth it! The soup will have a wonderful flavor.
Can I Use Fresh Tomatoes?
If you have fresh tomatoes and would like to use them in this recipe, you can absolutely do so!
Fresh tomatoes can add a bright, fresh flavor to homemade tomato soup that you can't quite achieve with canned tomatoes.
What to Serve With This Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato soup pairs well with a variety of dishes, such as cold cheese sandwiches, a grilled cheese sandwich, green salads, bread sticks, croutons, roasted vegetables, and garlic bread.
Tomato Soup Storage
• To store leftover Slow Cooker Tomato Soup, let it cool to room temperature and store it in an airtight container. Refrigerate it promptly.
• Use it within 3 to 4 days and reheat it to a temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) before eating.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Slow Cooker Beef and Dumplings
Slow Cooker Pozole
So if you're looking for a delicious easy recipe for tomato soup in the crock pot, give this yummy Slow Cooker Tomato Soup a try. This is the best tomato soup, in my opinion!
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 6 quart Slow Cooker
- Immersion Blender
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (or olive oil)
- 1 small Yellow Onion diced
- 1 cup Diced Carrots
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 2 28-ounce cans Crushed Tomatoes (or diced tomatoes with juice)
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup Half-and-Half (or Whole Milk or Heavy Cream)
- ½ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Basil torn into small pieces
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, add the butter, onion, and carrot. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften.
- Add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the minced garlic and stir. Cook for about 30 seconds, or until you start to smell the garlic. Then turn off the heat and add the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Pour the tomatoes, broth, and half-and-half into the slow cooker. Stir everything together.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-7 hours.
- Use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker to blend the soup until smooth. Or add about half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining half (Please use caution when blending hot soup. Hold the blender lid closed using a kitchen towel, pulse, and don’t try to blend all of the soup at once.).
- Add the soup back into the slow cooker and serve right away, or place the lid back on and set to warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, garnish each serving with some of the fresh basil leaves and a bit of the shredded parmesan cheese.
My husband loved this soup. I made him a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it and he just dunked and dunked, haha! Guess I need to make it again! Easy and delicious!