Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious, easy soup recipe. This flavorful Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is made from pantry ingredients and chicken. Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup has so much flavor and is a favorite easy soup recipe!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
There is nothing like a flavorful soup that is easy to make. I’m all for minimal chopping and zero precooking!
This Crockpot Chicken Tortilla soup is loaded with yummy ingredients, like black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, tortilla chips (or corn tortillas), and the perfect amount of seasonings.
Can I Use Any Cut of Chicken?
• This Tortilla Soup recipe calls for boneless/skinless chicken breasts, but you can use boneless/skinless chicken thighs as well.
• If you only have bone-in chicken, you can use it, but I would remove the skin so the soup doesn’t get too much fat in it. It may need to cook a little longer.
• You can also use a rotisserie chicken that you have deboned. You just add it after the soup has cooked. So easy!
A little squeeze of lime on your serving of Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup adds a nice bright flavor!
How To Make Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sauté the onion and garlic before adding it to the slow cooker with the other ingredients. Stir the ingredients well.
Press the chicken down into the liquid to submerge it. Cook. Then remove the chicken and shred using two forks.
Add the shredded chicken to the soup and stir. Taste and adjust salt and serve with your favorite garnishes and tortilla chips.
Tortillas vs Tortilla Chips
- In this Tortilla Soup recipe, you obviously need some tortillas of some sort! They break down in the soup and add flavor and texture.
- Tortilla chips are nice because they add crunch and a bit of salt. The pieces that get submerged in the broth will soften a bit and flavor the soup.
- Corn tortillas are also delicious in this soup. They get submerged and break down nicely. That masa flavor is the perfect touch to this soup.
- Flour tortillas are not for this soup. They will not add any corn/masa flavor
You Might Also Like
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfect for adding garnishes to. Aside from chips and lime, try sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, or whatever you like!
If you make this yummy crock pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, please let me know! Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 quart Slow Cooker
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Jalapeños, seeded and diced (optional)
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce can Enchilada Sauce (I prefer red)
- 1 12-ounce can Rotel® (original or mild version)
- 1 14-ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10-ounce bag Frozen Corn Kernels
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher Salt (or ½ teaspoon table salt) or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 pound Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 2 chicken breasts)
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
Garnish (Use any or all)
- Tortilla Chips
- Green Onion, sliced
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Cooked Rice, Optional
- In a frying pan, on medium-high heat, sauté the onion, jalapeño and garlic in the olive oil until softened. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the enchilada sauce, Rotel, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Place the chicken breasts into the soup mixture and nestle them down in so they are covered.
- Cook on Low for 6-8 hours, or High 3-4 hours, or until the meat is done and is 165°F internal temperature.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and use two forks to shred the meat. Then return the meat to the soup, along with the cilantro, and stir well.
- Serve in bowls, over rice if using. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips and then any of the following: green onion, sour cream, avocado, or cheese on top.
- Use a deboned rotisserie chicken for a shortcut. Reduce cook time by half and add the chicken meat in at the end of cook time.
- If you like a very mild soup, substitute the Rotel® for diced tomatoes and mild diced green chiles.
- Substitute corn tortillas for the tortilla chips. The corn tortillas break down in the soup and give it a nice masa flavor.
- Keep in refrigerator for up to 4 days in airtight container.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in airtight container (Tip: freeze in portion sizes for quicker thawing, and not having to thaw out the whole amount if you only want a portion).