Taco Soup is one of the easiest and most delicious soups out there. A retro soup recipe that uses pantry staples like beans, tomatoes, broth and more. This budget friendly soup is super yummy and cooks in about an hour.
You can never have too many soup recipes in your recipe box. It's nice to have a few that you can make on a weeknight, and that are budget friendly, as well as delicious.
This soup is flavored with taco seasoning and ranch seasoning packets, a delicious shortcut! You will also clear a few cans out of your pantry as this soup uses canned beans, tomatoes, and chiles.
You can use ground beef or ground turkey to make this taco soup recipe.
The steps to make this flavorful soup are easy.
Grab your can opener, a strainer for the beans, and soon you'll have an awesome pot of soup!
Can I use a Crock Pot?
Yes! After browning the meat and onions, add everything except the corn to a slow cooker and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
Can I make this Soup Vegetarian?
Yes! Just omit the meat and use vegetable broth or water in place of chicken or beef broth.
You may need to add more beans and an additional can of diced tomatoes to make up the volume.
Adjust the seasonings to your taste, especially if using water in place of broth.
Garnishes Make this Soup Even Better!
Corn tortillas, corn chips, and cornbread are tasty additions to your taco soup.
Some other garnishes you can use are cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, sour cream, sliced jalapeños, avocado, lime wedges, or whatever you like!
You Might Also Like
Classic Pot Roast
Classic Stuffed Peppers
Pin This Recipe
If you make this tasty taco soup recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd like to know how you liked it!
- 2 lbs Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 1 cup Diced Onions
- 1 1.25 oz packet Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes with Chiles (such as Rotel®), with juice
- 2 4.5 oz cans Diced Green Chiles, drained
- 1 1 oz package Ranch Dressing Mix
- 4 cups Chicken Broth or beef, low sodium
- 2 15.5 oz cans Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 15.5 oz can Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 15.5 oz can Black Beans, drained
- 1 15.5 oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained
- 2 cups Frozen Corn Kernels or 1 can Corn Kernels, drained
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Green Onions
- Sliced jalapeños
- Corn Chips
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a Dutch oven. Drain the excess fat, if necessary.
- Mix in the taco seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomatoes with chiles, and diced green chiles. Stir.
- Mix in the ranch seasoning.
- Pour in the broth and stir.
- Add all of the beans and stir.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered.
- Add the corn and stir. If using frozen corn, let sit a few minutes to heat through.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The best soup I ever ate! I'm not kidding! This is so delicious and it will be one of my regular recipes!