Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a delicious way to use up ripe bananas. These banana muffins are quick to make, and using pantry staples and fresh ripe bananas, they bake up soft and flavorful. The sweet chocolate chips are in every bite! The best banana muffin recipe with chocolate chips!
Originally published 4/02/2020
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Muffins are a delicious treat, and go well with a cup of coffee or milk for a quick breakfast or after school snack.
If you have some overripe bananas, this is the perfect easy muffin recipe to make. The chocolate chips make them even better!
Why We Love This Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Easy and quick to mix up
- Uses up your ripe bananas!
- You only need 2 ripe bananas.
- Makes a dozen nice sized muffins.
- Uses simple ingredients.
- Dense, moist, and flavorful!
- They freeze very well.
How to Make the Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
The steps to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are easy, here they are:
• Mash the bananas first.
• Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, melted butter. Mix together.
• Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into another bowl.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
• Gently fold together until just combined (do not over mix).
• Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
• Scoop into greased muffin pan (or use paper liners).
• Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
The Most Important Tip For Baking Muffins
Do not over mix the batter. You don’t want to develop the gluten like you do when making bread.
To keep the muffins dense, yet moist and cake-like, add the wet ingredients to the dry, then gently fold in just until moistened.
A few streaks of flour visible is fine. When you add the chocolate chips, also fold them very gently in, and use minimal stirring.
Some Ideas for the Best Banana Muffins
• Use half peanut butter chips and half chocolate chips.
• Try adding a few Tablespoons of peanut butter to the batter (mix in with the bananas).
• Stick a few extra chocolate chips on top of the muffins before baking for a nice presentation.
• In place of walnuts you can use pecans.
How to Store Banana Muffins
The best way to store banana chocolate chip muffins is in a zip-closure baggie or other airtight container at room temperature. They will keep about 4 days.
Can I Freeze These Banana Muffins?
- Yes you can. Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap, then put the muffins into a freezer-style zip-closure baggie, pushing out the excess air.
- You can also use a plastic storage container, but those are harder to get the excess air out of so be sure to wrap each muffin.
- To thaw out a muffin, set it out at room temperature to thaw if you are not in a hurry.
- You can heat frozen muffins in the microwave: Place the muffin on a paper towel or plate. Microwave on High about 20-30 seconds for one muffin.
Easy Dessert Recipes You Might Like
If you made these yummy banana muffins with chocolate chips, please let me know! You can leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked them!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 12-cup Muffin Pan
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 2 lg Eggs
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts, optional
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas very well.
- Add the eggs, brown sugar, cooled melted butter, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently fold together using a spatula. Don't over mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using. Gently fold to combine.
- Fill the muffin pan holes about ¾ of the way full. Use all of the batter to fill all 12 cups. It is okay to fill to the top as that will produce a nice crown (muffin top). Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each for a pretty presentation.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They will only be lightly browned on top.
- Let cool in the muffin tin about 20 minutes, then remove muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling (or enjoy them warm!).