Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a delicious way to use up ripe bananas. These banana muffins are quick to make, and the recipe uses pantry staples. This is a great way to use up ripe fresh bananas. These are the most tender muffins, and they bake up soft and flavorful. The sweet chocolate chips are in every bite! The best banana muffins with chocolate chips!
Originally published 4/02/2020
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade muffins are a delicious treat, and go well with a cup of coffee or milk for a quick breakfast or after school snack. They have just the right amount of sweetness, and there are plenty of chocolate chips in them!
If you have some overripe bananas laying around, I have a recipe for a great treat for you! This Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe is the perfect easy muffin recipe to make. The addition of chocolate chips makes them even better!
Why We Love These Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Chocolate chip banana muffin recipes are easy and quick to mix up.
- Uses up your ripe bananas!
- You only need 2 ripe bananas per batch of muffins.
- Makes a dozen nice sized muffins (you can also make mini muffins. Use mini chocolate chips).
- Uses simple ingredients.
- Makes dense, flavorful, moist banana muffins.
- They freeze very well.
Ingredients in Delicious Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ripe Bananas - Use very ripe bananas for the best banana flavor (The brown spots are called sugar spots).
Unsalted Butter - melted and cooled
Vanilla Extract - Or vanilla bean paste
All Purpose Flour
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (plus extra to sprinkle on top). Or use dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips.
Chopped Walnuts or Pecans - for a banana nut muffins variation (optional).
How to Make the Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
The steps to make moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are easy, here they are:
• In a large bowl, mash the bananas first.
• Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, and melted butter to the mashed bananas. Mix together.
• Sift and combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into a medium bowl.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
• Gently fold together until just combined (do not over mix).
• Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
• Scoop into greased muffin pan (or use paper liners).
• Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
• Let muffins cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
The Most Important Tip For Baking Muffins
- Do not over mix the muffin batter! You don't want to develop the gluten like you do when making bread.
- To keep the muffins dense, yet moist and cake-like, add the wet ingredients to the dry, then gently fold in only just until moistened.
- A few streaks of flour visible is fine. When you add the chocolate chips, also fold them very gently in, and use minimal stirring.
Some Helpful Tips for the Best Banana Muffins
• Use half peanut butter chips and half chocolate chips.
• Try adding a few Tablespoons of peanut butter to the batter (mix in with the bananas).
• Stick a few extra chocolate chips on top of the muffins before baking for a nice presentation.
• In place of walnuts you can use pecans.
• Make chocolate chip banana bread by baking in a loaf pan at 350°F for about 40-50 minutes.
• If you are going to transport the muffins, bake them in paper liners.
How to Store Banana Muffins
The best way to store banana chocolate chip muffins is in a zip-closure baggie or other airtight container at room temperature. They will keep about 4 days.
Can I Freeze These Banana Muffins?
- Yes you can. Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap, then put the muffins into a freezer-style zip-closure baggie, pushing out the excess air.
- You can also use a plastic storage container, but those are harder to get the excess air out of so be sure to wrap each muffin.
- To thaw out a muffin, set it out at room temperature to thaw if you are not in a hurry.
- You can heat frozen muffins in the microwave: Place the muffin on a paper towel or plate. Microwave on High about 20-30 seconds for one muffin.
Easy Dessert Recipes You Might Like
If you made these yummy banana muffins with chocolate chips, please let me know! You can leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd love to know how you liked them!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 12-cup Muffin Pan
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 2 large Eggs
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts, optional
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas very well.
- Add the eggs, brown sugar, cooled melted butter, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently fold together using a spatula. Don't over mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using. Gently fold to combine.
- Fill the muffin pan holes about ¾ of the way full. Use all of the batter to fill all 12 cups. It is okay to fill to the top as that will produce a nice crown (muffin top). Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each for a pretty presentation.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They will only be lightly browned on top.
- Let cool in the muffin tin about 20 minutes, then remove muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling (or enjoy them warm!).