Chocolate Chip Cookies are the classic cookie recipe that everyone knows and most of us love! This recipe for chewy, crisp on the outside cookies is so good! Have fun baking up a batch today.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making this cookie recipe is easiest if you have a stand mixer (or a strong arm). You just add in the ingredients per the instructions, and let the mixer do the heavy work.
Some Helpful Cookie Baking Tips
Measuring Flour: Measure flour for this cookie recipe by stirring it/fluffing it a bit in the container, then spooning it into a measuring cup. Then use the back of a knife to scrape off/level off the excess. Scooping up the flour with the measuring cup can cause it to pack in, which can result in over measuring.
Room Temperature Eggs: Using cold eggs right out of the fridge can chill the melted butter, causing it to solidify. If this happens, the ingredients won't all mix and combine smoothly. If you forget to set out your eggs to get them to room temperature, just place them in a bowl of warm water (not too hot) for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Chill the Dough: Chilling the dough after mixing helps prevent the cookies from spreading too much, which results in a thinner cookie. We like a Chocolate Chip Cookie that isn't too thin!
Do Not Overbake: These Cookies should be baked until they are just browned on the edges. They should be slightly undercooked in the middle.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
If you want to prepare the dough to bake the cookies another time, you can easily freeze it. Form the dough balls per the recipe instructions and place them onto a parchment lined pan.
Then put the whole thing in the freezer to freeze until solid. Once the dough is frozen, transfer the cookie dough balls from the pan and place in a sealable freezer bag.
To Bake Cookies from Frozen Cookie Dough
Defrost for a couple of hours in the fridge, then bake as directed. It is possible the cookies will need an extra minute or so of bake time if the dough is very cold.
How to Store the Chocolate Chip Cookies After Baking
These cookies can be kept in an air-tight container at room temperature. They should stay fresh tasting for about 3 days. In the fridge (also air-tight container) for about 1 week.
Tasty Cookie Variations
- You can use any kind of chip you like. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, etc.
- Try adding nuts. Walnuts or pecans are yummy, and give the cookies crunch.
- Dried fruit, such as cherries or raisins, make a nice add-in
You Might Also Like
If you make these delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies, please let me kow how you liked them. Just leave a comment below in the comments section, with a star rating.
I'd love to get your feedback!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Stand Mixer
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar (optional, makes the cookies more textured)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, (2 sticks) softened
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 2 lg Eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 12 ounce bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, about 2 cups, divided
- Preheat oven to 325° F (163 degrees C).
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Then stir in all but 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Roll 3 Tablespoonfuls of dough into a ball and set onto two ungreased, parchment or silicone mat lined cookie sheets (about 9 balls per cookie sheet).
- Use the reserved chocolate chips to press onto the dough balls so when they are done baking you can see more of the chocolate chips. This makes the cookies look cuter! Be careful not to flatten the dough balls!
- I highly recommend chilling the dough before baking. This helps prevent the dough from spreading too much, resulting in a slightly taller, thicker cookie.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and cookies are a little soft in the middle (Be careful not to over bake!). Let the cookies cool for 8 minutes on the pan, then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.