Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a classic retro cake recipe. Sweet pineapple rings in a buttery brown sugar topping are baked with a delicious white cake. An easy dessert recipe to make.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This is one of the most retro of cakes! It is sweet, delicious, and so easy to make. Using pantry ingredients and some items from the fridge, you can make this classic cake recipe.
When Did This Cake Become Popular?
In 1925 The Hawaiian Pineapple Company (now Dole) ran a pineapple recipe contest. They received around 60,000 recipes.
What was surprising was how many pineapple upside down cake recipes they received. Around 2,500! So they ran an ad about it.
People loved it so much (and still do), the rest, as they say, is history.
The steps to make this yummy Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe are easy. Here they are:
Bake with the cake pan sitting on a baking sheet pan.
After baking, be sure to let the cake cool at least 30 minutes before you invert it onto a cake plate.
No Need For Frosting
How nice to be able to make a cake that doesn’t need frosting! It’s like a one-pot dessert.
The pineapple rings cooked in the buttery brown sugar is all this cake needs.
This cake is perfect for when you are having company over for dinner. It is so pretty!
You can bake it in a round or a square 9″ pan. It will look great either way.
Pin This Easy Cake Recipe
You Might Also Like
If you make this delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I would like to know how you liked it!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 6 Tbsp 3/4 stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Packed Brown Sugar light
- 7 slices canned Pineapple Rings
- 12-14 Maraschino Cherries
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream*
- 1 lg Egg
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 tsp Imitation Rum Extract optional, but adds a lot of flavor
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. You can use the microwave on low.
- Set a round 9" cake pan or a 9"x9" square baking dish on a baking sheet. Spray cake pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the melted butter into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter evenly.
- Arrange the pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar in a pattern that fits them without overlapping. You can cut the remaining slices in half to fit into the gaps (see photo).
- Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring, and in the gaps as you like.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, egg, oil, rum extract, and the vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold to combine. Don't overmix!
- Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple in the baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set the cake pan on a wire rack to cool for a minimum of 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Slice and serve.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.