Classic Homemade Lasagna is a flavorful, cheesy, saucy, comfort food. If you like Italian pasta recipes, this delicious lasagna recipe is wonderful. Well worth the effort to make it!
Classic Homemade Lasagna
Lasagna has long been a favorite retro Italian pasta recipe. Who can resist those layers of noodles and cheese, with a rich, tomato sauce to bring it all together? I sure can’t!
This lasagna is tall, with three layers of noodles, and plenty of cheese and two kinds of meat. Nice and hearty.
What is the Best Meat for Lasagna?
You can use lean ground beef, which is very common, or ground turkey.
I like a mixture of ground turkey and ground sausage. You can use any combination you like.
Can Lasagna Be Frozen?
Yes! You can freeze lasagna either before or after cooking it.
To freeze before cooking:
• Assemble the lasagna in the baking dish (make sure it is freezer safe), then let it cool.
• Wrap the dish in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil.
• Freeze for up to 3 months.
To freeze after cooking:
• Let the lasagna cool completely.
• Choose a container. Air-tight plastic containers, foil, or freezer baggies work well.
• Cut the lasagna into pieces that will fit into your container.
• If using baggies or foil, wrap in plastic wrap first.
Let thaw for best results. Then put in a 375° oven, covered with foil, and bake for 45 minutes, and uncovered for 15 minutes.
To reheat cooked lasagna:
• Place serving on a microwave safe plate. Poke a toothpick in the center.
• Drape a damp paper towel over the top (the toothpick will keep the paper towel off of the lasagna so it doesn’t stick to the it).
• Microwave for 90 seconds, then in 45 second increments until heated through.
Repeat the layering two more times, ending with the meat sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan on top. Then bake.
This recipe makes a lot. You can feed 8-10 people.
If you want to make a smaller batch, cut the recipe in half and use a 8″x8″ pan. You may need to cut the cook time down a bit.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Lasagna Recipe
If you liked this yummy lasagna recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I would like to know how you liked it!
Classic Homemade Lasagna
- 15 Lasagna Noodles
- MEAT SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lg Onion chopped
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 3/4 lb Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 -6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 -15 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 -15 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- CHEESE MIXTURE
- 16 oz Ricotta Cheese or Cottage Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- ADDITIONAL CHEESE FOR LAYERING
- 4 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- COOK THE PASTA
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a pot of salted water until al dente (slightly undercooked). Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- MAKE THE MEAT MIXTURE
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and the onion. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add the sausage and ground beef or turkey. Cook, breaking up the meat, until mostly done.
- Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the Italian seasoning, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the tomato paste. Stir well. Then add the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Stir and let heat to a very low simmer.
- Stir in the water and sugar.
- Turn off the heat.
- MAKE THE CHEESE MIXTURE
- While the meat is cooking, to a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese, egg, 1/4 tsp Kosher salt, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Mix together well. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNA
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer 5 lasagna noodles, slightly overlapping, in the bottom of the baking dish. You may need to have 4 horizontal and 1 vertical. However they fit best.
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella over the cheese mixture.
- Spread 2 cups of the meat sauce over the mozzarella.
- Add another layer of noodles, cheese mixture, mozzarella, meat sauce.
- Add a final layer of noodles, cheese mixture, then the remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, along with the 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.