Spinach Cheese Strata is a casserole made with layers of bread, spinach, cheese, and a rich egg custard. This retro recipe for strata has been a favorite in our home for over 35 years! This strata recipe is so easy to make, and is delicious!
Spinach Cheese Strata
This is a great casserole recipe if you have some day old bread to use up, or just want to try something different. There is a lot of flavor in this strata recipe!
What is Strata?
Strata is plural for stratum (a layer). It means multi layered.
In the world of food it means a layered casserole, most often using bread for the layers, but could be potatoes, etc.
The Best Bread to Use
The best bread to use for a strata recipe is what you have on hand!
Well, if you are going to go out and buy some, French bread, thinly sliced is great. Day old is best.
I like plain old white bread as well. It is really soft so it has a pleasant texture in the casserole.
I haven’t made this strata recipe with gluten free or wheat bread. I think if you like the bread, you will like the resulting strata.
This Spinach Cheese Strata is very simple to make. Here are the steps:
The Best Cheese to Use
Swiss! A lot of the flavor in this recipe will come from the cheese, so you want to use one that is flavorful and melts nicely.
I have tried other cheeses and like provolone, Monterey jack, and gruyere. A blend is also nice. But Swiss is my favorite!
You Might Also Like
Hash Brown Egg Casserole
Texas Hominy Casserole
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Easy Chicken Parmesan
Pin This Recipe
If you make this yummy strata recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Spinach Cheese Strata
- 2 Tbsp Butter divided
- 8 slices White Bread or thinly sliced French bread
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 -10 oz pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed and water squeezed out
- 1 tsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt divided
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 oz Shredded Swiss Cheese 1 1/2 cups, divided
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated or shredded
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter a 8"x8" baking dish with half of the butter.
- Place 4 slices of the bread in the bottom of the baking dish in one layer.
- Heat a frying pan over med-high heat. When it is hot, add the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter and the olive oil. Then add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until there is some slight browning on the onion, and it is soft and translucent.
- Add the spinach, dill, salt, and pepper to the frying pan and mix well.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the slices of bread in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle on 1 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Arrange the remaining 4 bread slices over in one layer.
- In a 4 cup measuring glass or bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and 1/4 tsp salt together well.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread evenly.
- Sprinkle on the remaining Swiss cheese and the parmesan cheese.
- Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour or longer before baking, if possible.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until the strata is puffed and golden in color. If it is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Remove to a wire rack. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Resources to Make this Strata Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I can’t believe how tasty this was! I’ll make a pan for my husband when he gets back from deployment.