Spinach Cheese Strata is a casserole made with layers of bread, spinach, cheese, and a rich egg custard. This retro recipe for strata has been a favorite in our home for over 35 years! This strata recipe is so easy to make, and is delicious!
Spinach Cheese Strata
This is a great casserole recipe if you have some day old bread to use up, or just want to try something different. There is a lot of flavor in this strata recipe!
What is Strata?
Strata is plural for stratum (a layer). It means multi layered.
In the world of food it means a layered casserole, most often using bread for the layers, but could be potatoes, etc.
The Best Bread to Use
The best bread to use for a strata recipe is what you have on hand!
Well, if you are going to go out and buy some, French bread, thinly sliced is great. Day old is best.
I like plain old white bread as well. It is really soft so it has a pleasant texture in the casserole.
I haven’t made this strata recipe with gluten free or wheat bread. I think if you like the bread, you will like the resulting strata.
This Spinach Cheese Strata is very simple to make. Here are the steps:
The Best Cheese to Use
Swiss! A lot of the flavor in this recipe will come from the cheese, so you want to use one that is flavorful and melts nicely.
I have tried other cheeses and like provolone, Monterey jack, and gruyere. A blend is also nice. But Swiss is my favorite!
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
If you make this yummy strata recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Spinach Cheese Strata
- 2 Tbsp Butter divided
- 8 slices White Bread or thinly sliced French bread
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 -10 oz pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed and water squeezed out
- 1 tsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt divided
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 oz Shredded Swiss Cheese 1 1/2 cups, divided
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated or shredded
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Butter a 8"x8" baking dish with half of the butter.
- Place 4 slices of the bread in the bottom of the baking dish in one layer.
- Heat a frying pan over med-high heat. When it is hot, add the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter and the olive oil. Then add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until there is some slight browning on the onion, and it is soft and translucent.
- Add the spinach, dill, salt, and pepper to the frying pan and mix well.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the slices of bread in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle on 1 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Arrange the remaining 4 bread slices over in one layer.
- In a 4 cup measuring glass or bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and 1/4 tsp salt together well.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread evenly.
- Sprinkle on the remaining Swiss cheese and the parmesan cheese.
- Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour or longer before baking, if possible.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until the strata is puffed and golden in color. If it is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Remove to a wire rack. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Resources to Make this Strata Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.