This Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe is rich and delicious with creamy chocolate and warm spices. Chocolate chips melt together with milk in the crock pot, along with vanilla and spices for a hot cocoa drink that is flavorful and so cozy on a cold day!
Try a cup of crockpot Hot Chocolate with a slice of Cinnamon Coffee Cake. They go perfectly together.
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crockpot Mexican Hot Chocolate
When the weather turns cold, there's nothing like a mug of rich, creamy hot chocolate to warm you up. My Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe is a flavorful cocoa that combines the comforting taste of chocolate with a hint of spice.
This Hot Chocolate recipe is a delightful blend of rich chocolate, warming spices, and a hint of creaminess, perfect for cozy evenings or special occasions.
What is Mexican Hot Chocolate?
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Unlike the American version, Mexican hot chocolate contains warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and chili powder, and sometimes cayenne pepper. Bittersweet chocolate is often used to make the hot chocolate very rich, but less sweet.
- American Hot Chocolate: American hot chocolate is simpler, and is often made with cocoa powder and/or chocolate, and it tends to be sweeter. The texture is much like hot chocolate milk. Also, American hot chocolate is often served with extras like marshmallows or whipped cream on top.
Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe Ingredients
This delicious Hot Cocoa recipe is made with simple ingredients.
• Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: A great way to make hot chocolate without using cocoa powder or sugar.
• Evaporated Milk: A creamy, dense milk that is perfect for hot chocolate recipes.
• Spices: Cinnamon (Mexican is best if you have it), Nutmeg, Chili Powder, and Cayenne Pepper (optional, for some heat).
• Vanilla Extract: Adds a rich and warm flavor to the hot chocolate.
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate
This Spicy Hot Chocolate recipe is so easy to make! Just be sure you will be around to stir it as the chocolate melts!
Step 1 – Add chocolate chips to the slow cooker.
Step 2 – Pour in the evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and spices into the slow cooker. Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.
Step 3 – Cook on the LOW setting for 3 hours, whisking well every 30 minutes (be sure to get the chocolate up from the bottom of the crock every time you whisk it).
Step 4 – Switch slow cooker to the WARM setting if it will be sitting around for people to serve themselves. Whisk it every so often.
Step 5 – Serve in mugs. Garnish as desired.
- Adding a splash of Kahlúa to this hot Mexican beverage will give you a unique adult hot chocolate!
- Use bittersweet chocolate chips for a dark chocolate flavor. You will need some sugar to taste.
- You can use white chocolate chips for a different (sweeter) flavor and look.
- Adding a few cinnamon sticks to the crockpot of Mexican Hot Chocolate will enhance the warm spice flavor.
- You can also make this Mexican hot chocolate in a large pot on the stovetop. Heat the ingredients over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and creamy, and all ingredients are well combined.
Can I Use a Crockpot Liner With This Recipe?
Yes, you can use a crockpot liner. They are great for easy cleanup.
Storing Leftover Hot Chocolate
Refrigerator: Store leftover crockpot Mexican Hot Chocolate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Leftover Mexican Hot Chocolate can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Mexican hot chocolate is always best when served hot/warm.
- Though not traditional, a generous dollop of whipped cream can really enhance this Mexican hot cocoa.
- Marshmallows are more of an American addition, but taste wonderful in this hot cocoa. Add just before serving.
- Add a cinnamon stick to each mug of hot cocoa to enhance the cinnamon flavor, and it looks cute as a garnish.
- Serve this hot chocolate with your favorite coffee cake, churros, donuts, or cookies.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Did you make this easy Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe? Leave a comment below with a star rating! Thank you!
Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 5-quart or larger Slow Cooker
- 2 12-ounce packages Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 6 12-ounce cans Evaporated Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder (mild)
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and heat on Low for 3 hours, whisking every 30 minutes (be sure to get the chocolate off the bottom of the crock), until the chocolate chips are fully melted and well incorporated.
- Switch the crockpot to the Warm setting if not serving all at once so it stays hot. Remember to stir it occasionally.
- This recipe can also be heated on the stove top.
- High quality chocolate chips give the best flavor.
- Use Nonfat evaporated milk for a lighter version (It won't be as creamy).
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated.