Easy Sloppy Joes is a classic ground beef recipe flavored with tomato and green bell pepper, and served on a hamburger bun. This Sloppy Joes recipe is very simple to make, and is ready in about 30 minutes for a quick dinner.
Easy Sloppy Joes
Some foods are just fun to eat. Sloppy Joes are one of them!
All of that saucy meat piled on a hamburger bun makes it a little dicey to hold in your hands and eat like a sandwich, but we still try.
It's okay to use a fork!
This is truly a classic retro recipe, and never fails to please the family whenever I make it.
This delicious sloppy joes recipe is easy to make. Here are the steps:
Add more broth and ketchup if you like yours saucier. Adjust seasonings after tasting.
Some Tips for Great Sloppy Joes
• Use a lean ground beef so you don't have to drain it.
• You can use ground turkey in place of the beef.
• Toast the buns for flavor, texture, and they will not fall apart as easily.
• Add some Red Pepper Flakes if you want a hint of spice.
• If you don't care for green bell pepper, try a roasted red pepper, or diced tomatoes.
• This recipe doubles nicely.
Whether you eat your Sloppy Joes with your hands, or with a fork, you can feel like a kid again enjoying this American classic recipe!
You Might Also Like
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
Chile con Carne
Oven Baked Country Style Ribs
Easy Classic Meatloaf
Pin This Recipe
If you make this simple Sloppy Joes recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd like to know how you liked it!
Easy Sloppy Joes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion finely diced
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder or 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth or water
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the olive oil and the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the chunks, until partially browned.
- Add the green bell pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well and continue to cook the beef.
- While the beef is cooking, mix the ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and beef broth together in a bowl or glass measuring cup. Then pour into the beef mixture and stir well.
- Partially cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- If you want the buns toasted, place them under the broiler on a baking sheet until both sides are lightly toasted.
- Spoon some meat mixture onto the buns are serve hot.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We all loved these sloppy joes. Didn't have green pepper, but they were still great. Thank you for the recipe.