Homestyle Vegetable Beef Soup recipe makes a delicious pot of hot, homemade soup that has chunks of tender beef and loads of veggies in a rich broth. A classic vegetable soup with beef recipe.
A yummy Vegetable Beef Stew recipe that is a family favorite recipe.
Homestyle Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup is a classic recipe for a soup that so many of us grew up eating.
There is nothing like a pot of homemade soup. This is a classic, retro recipe that is made with simple ingredients.
How to Make Homestyle Vegetable Beef Soup
Chop the veggies and set aside. Cube the beef and put in a bowl with the salt and pepper.
Brown the beef cubes on both sides and remove to a large bowl. Cook meat in batches. No need to fully cook it. Just brown it.
Add carrot, onion, celery, garlic to the pot and cook in the meat drippings until tender. Add tomato paste and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the broth. Stir and cook a few minutes. Add beef back in.
Add the pearl onions and cook 45 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover, and cook another 45 minutes. Uncover, add green beans, peas and corn and heat through.
This Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is so comforting, just like mom made! It really is a one-pot meal!
What to Serve With Vegetable Beef Soup?
We love to eat this soup with warm, fluffy biscuits slathered in butter. A perfect meal!
You Might Also Like
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Creamy Fall Soup in Acorn Squash Bowls
Instant Pot Meatball Soup
Classic Split Pea Soup
If you make this classic Vegetable Beef Soup recipe, please let me know. Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I would like to know how it worked for you!
Homestyle Vegetable Beef Soup
- 6-quart Dutch Oven or Soup Pot
- 1 3-pound Boneless Beef Chuck Roast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, large dice
- 3 medium Carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs Celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 10-ounce bag Frozen Pearl Onions
- 4 medium Potatoes, about 1½ pounds, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Frozen Green Beans
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- Trim the roast of excess fat and cut it into 1½-inch cubes. Place the meat in a bowl and season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prep all of the fresh vegetables. Chop the onion, carrot, celery, potatoes. Mince the garlic, etc. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Take a third of the meat and add it to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining meat in 2 more batches. Set aside (do not over crowd the pot when browning the meat).
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and tomato paste. Stir and cook about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot (deglaze), and cook until the mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the meat and any accumulated juices in the bowl to the pot.
- Add the pearl onions and stir. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pot. Stir to combine. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and meat are fork-tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the green beans, peas and corn. Simmer uncovered until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!