Cream Cheese Frosting is creamy and perfect to top your favorite cake or cupcakes. This frosting recipe is sweet, with a little tang from the cream cheese. A favorite classic white frosting recipe.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Every good cake or cupcake deserves a sweet and yummy frosting to top it off. Today I’m sharing a classic, retro frosting recipe with you.
Cream cheese frosting is a sweet and lightly tangy frosting recipe that is most commonly associated with carrot cake and red velvet cake.
I personally have used this delicious cream cheese frosting recipe on many kinds of cakes and cupcakes, including my famous Banana Cake Bars.
Tips for Perfect Creamy Frosting
- Use real butter, and make sure it is at room temperature for best results. I use unsalted (some folks use salted, but I never have).
- Make sure the cream cheese is also at room temperature.
- Real, quality vanilla extract is the best kind to use for the best flavor.
- The recipe calls for 3 cups of powdered sugar. Start with 2 cups, mix in, taste, and add the remaining to your desired taste.
How Much Does This Frosting Recipe Make?
This frosting recipe makes enough to frost a 9″x13″ sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes that have a typical amount on them.
If you want the really high swirl of frosting like in the photo, you will need to double the recipe.
Pro Tip: Fill a gallon size storage baggie 2/3 full of frosting. Cut about 1 inch off of one of the corners and use this as a homemade piping bag.
You Might Also Like
If you make this delicious easy frosting recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mixing Bowls
- Electric Mixer
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanila Extract
- Use an electric mixer to cream the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula halfway through.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix in.
- Start the mixer on low speed and slowly start adding in the powdered sugar. Stop and taste after the first 2 cups.
- You can continue adding powdered sugar until the frosting is as sweet and thick as you like.
- Use right away or refrigerate. Let come to room temperature after chilling.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: Mix in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt.