Peanut Butter Cookies are a retro cookie recipe that most of us grew up with. These cookies are timeless for a reason, soft on the inside and lightly crisp on the outside. Yummy peanut butter flavor, and that classic criss-cross design on top! Get your glass of milk ready for dunking this delicious cookie into!
Peanut Butter Cookies
This easy recipe for delicious classic peanut butter cookies is one of the top 10 cookie recipes. Of you love the taste of peanut butter, then this is the best cookie recipe for you!
What Can You Add to Peanut Butter Cookies?
These cookies are so delicious on their own, but if you want to get creative with some add-ins, here are some ideas:
• Chocolate Chips
• Chopped Salted Peanuts
• Reese’s Pieces
• Toffee Pieces
Why Do You Press Peanut Butter Cookies with a Fork?
If left in a ball shape, or as a drop cookie, they would not cook evenly, or completely.
A fork is a handy tool to use to press them down with, and being round, they need to be pressed one direction, then turned a half turn and pressed again. This causes the identifiable criss-cross pattern that these cookies are famous for!
A Note About the Cookie Dough
Peanut Butter Cookie dough is soft, so it is beneficial to chill the dough before you bake the cookies.
Just put the dough in a container in the fridge for about 45 minutes. Then preheat your oven, take out the dough, and form the cookies.
Next you will bake them. By having the dough chilled, the cookies are easier to form, and it keeps the dough from spreading.
How Can You Tell if the Cookies are Done?
The cookies are done when the tops are a light golden brown. They will still be a bit soft hot out of the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.
Let the cookies rest for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to the wire rack.
HINT: If you bake them on parchment paper they come off easier, and the cookie sheet is easier to clean.
There is nothing like peanut butter to make some of the most delicious desserts out there. Cookies made with peanut butter are one of my top 5 peanut butter recipes to make!
I think this is the best Peanut Butter Cookie recipe!
You Might Also Like
Easy Coconut Macaroons
Raisin Spice Bars
20 Sweet Oatmeal Desserts
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
If you make this yummy easy cookie recipe please let me know. Leave a comment with a star rating below in the comments section. I’d love to know how you liked them!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- 1 ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- ¾ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 lg Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make the Dough
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar until combined.
- Add peanut butter to sugar and butter mixture and stir. Once combined, add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour mixture and, Starting with mixer on low speed (so flour does not spray out of bowl), then increase speed and mix until a dough is formed.
Chill the Dough
- Dough will be soft. Cover and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C) before removing cookie dough from fridge.
Form and Bake the Cookies
- Remove dough from the fridge. Scoop dough out and shape into 1-2 Tablespoon balls (A cookie scoop is excellent for this). Place on baking sheets spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Dip a fork in sugar and press onto the ball to flatten cookies slightly. Turn cookie opposite direction (half turn), dip fork in sugar again, and press again forming a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for 12-15 minutes. Tops will be a light golden brown. Bottoms should be golden brown.
- Cool slightly on baking sheet and then place on cooling rack to cool completely (cookies will still be soft when hot from oven. They firm up as they cool).
Just like mom made! Great texture and flavor.