Easy Coconut Macaroons are soft coconut cookies that are lightly crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. These coconut macaroon cookies are made without flour, so they are gluten free. A favorite easy cookie recipe.
Easy Coconut Macaroons
Coconut cookies are so delicious! Macaroons are a sweet and chewy retro cookie, and only have 5 ingredients, if you count the salt.
These cookies are believed to have originated in Italy, but this recipe was handed down to me from a dear Norwegian friend.
Not to be confused with the French Macaron, this cookie is quite unrefined in appearance, but has all the coconut flavor!
Which Coconut Works Best?
You will want to pick up a bag of sweetened shredded coconut in the baking aisle at the grocery store. That kind works best.
Since this recipe was handed down to me, I have never made them any other way. If you want to try unsweetened coconut, I can't offer any guidance.
The steps to make these yummy macaroons are easy. Here they are:
They Are Gluten Free
There are versions of coconut macaroons out there that do contain flour. This version does not.
Just check the coconut packaging to see if it was processed in a GF facility if you are concerned about that.
• Try adding some chocolate chips.
• Dip the finished cookies halfway in some melted chocolate.
• Drizzle melted chocolate over the tops of the finished cookies.
• Add some finely grated orange zest to the batter.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
If you make these delicious coconut macaroon cookies, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd love to know how you liked them!
Easy Coconut Macaroons
- 1 -14 oz bag Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 -14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 lg Egg Whites room temperature
- 1/8 tsp Salt or 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form that hold their shape.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form 1-inch to 1 1/2-inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet about 1-inch apart. You should get about 24 cookies, or about 20 if using the larger scoop.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies turn a light golden brown, and the bottoms are golden brown.
- Cool and then serve.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.