Skillet Cornbread is a delicious, tender bread that is so easy to make. This cornbread recipe goes well with stews and chili, and is yummy with a cold glass of milk.
Cornbread made in a cast iron skillet is not only traditional, but turns out buttery, golden and tasty.
Do You Have to Use a Cast Iron Skillet?
No, you can use any 12″ skillet that is oven safe. Results may be different than with cast iron. Nonstick would be best, if possible.
If you don’t have a skillet that will work, you may want to try my Easy Classic Cornbread Recipe instead.
Here are the ingredients you will need, at a glance, to make this cornbread recipe.
Why This Skillet Cornbread Recipe is So Good
• Easy to find ingredients.
• Crispy golden edges.
• Nice corn flavor.
• Sweet, but not too sweet.
• Tender texture.
• Easy to mix by hand.
The steps to make this delicious cornbread recipe are easy. Here they are:
You’ll need to preheat the oven and then heat the skillet in the oven.
Mix the wet ingredients together in one bowl. Mix the dry in another.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix just until moist. Don’t over mix!
Add the butter to the hot skillet. When melted, pour the batter into the hot skillet, very carefully, and bake.
Bake cornbread until a toothpick comes out clean, and the corn bread is lightly golden. Cracks are normal.
Don’t Have Buttermilk?
You can easily make a buttermilk substitute at home. All you need to do is add 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to a glass. Then add enough regular milk to make 1 cup.
Mix together and let it sit a few minutes. You can see that the milk changes. Then add to the recipe as instructed.
What Does Cornbread Go With?
You Might Also Like These Recipes
If you make this tasty cast iron skillet cornbread recipe, please let me know. Just leave a comment below in the comment section.
I’d love to know how you liked it!
- 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 Bowls
- 1 ½ cups Cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 15-ounce can Creamed Corn
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ⅔ cup Vegetable Oil, or avocado oil
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet into the oven to preheat.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the creamed corn, eggs, buttermilk, and oil in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter to the skillet in the oven and let it melt. Watch it carefully, it only takes about 2 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just to combine.
- Use potholders to remove the skillet from the oven. Use a spoon to swirl the butter around the skillet. Carefully pour the batter into the hot skillet and carefully stir it a bit to incorporate the melted butter into the batter. It doesn’t have to be fully incorporated.
- Bake until the cornbread is puffed, golden along the outside, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs, about 28 minutes.