Easy Classic Cornbread recipe is delicious, with a nice corn flavor. This cornbread is not too dense, and not too crumbly. We love eating it with butter and honey, or with chili. Nothing beats a yummy homemade cornbread recipe!
Easy Classic Cornbread
My mom made cornbread in her cast iron skillet. This retro recipe was common in many homes for decades, and still is.
What is Cornbread?
Cornbread is a cake-like quick bread that leans more towards the savory than the sweet. You can adjust that with the amount of sugar you add to the batter.
Not all recipes use sugar, and you can leave it out if you like.
This bread is usually made with about half cornmeal and half flour. The cornmeal gives the bread a corn flavor and a light yellow color.
No yeast is needed for cornbread, the cornmeal makes it too heavy. Baking powder is used instead.
Can I Freeze Cornbread?
• Yes you can, after cooking it. Let it cool completely first.
• Wrap it in plastic wrap, then wrap tightly in foil, or place in a freezer baggie.
What is the Best Way to Reheat Cornbread?
Wrap it in a damp (not too wet) paper towel and bake on a cookie sheet in a 350° F oven for about 10 minutes. Or microwave about 10 seconds.
If reheating frozen cornbread, It's best to let it thaw first. Then wrap in foil and bake at 350° F for about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the piece.
Ways to Enjoy Cornbread
• Warm with butter.
• Warm with butter and honey.
• With maple syrup.
• With a bowl of Chili
• Use it to sop up the pot likker from collard greens.
It only takes four steps to make this easy cornbread recipe. Here they are:
You Might Also Like
Pin This Cornbread Recipe
Did you make this yummy cornbread recipe? Please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd like to know how you liked it!
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 lg Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp Melted Butter unsalted
- Heat oven to 400° F. Spray a 8"x8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold together until there are no more dry spots.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan, then slice into squares and serve.
- Delicious with butter and honey or maple syrup. Also goes well with chili, collard greens, beans, etc.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.