Baked potato wedges are delicious and an easy side dish recipe. Oven fries make a delicious snack or a perfect side dish to go with your meals. Crispy baked potato wedges have a golden brown exterior and are tender inside. These are the best potato wedges and irresistible for the potato lovers out there!
Baked Potato Wedges
These tender and crisp oven-baked potato wedges will go with so many entrées, and make a great snack all on their own. This recipe is a great way to feed the whole family.
Simple Ingredients in This Recipe:
• Large Russet Potatoes, cut into wedges.
• Vegetable Oil - Or use Olive Oil.
• Minced Garlic - Or just use extra garlic powder.
• Parmesan Cheese
• Salt, Black Pepper
• Onion Powder
• Garlic Powder
• Paprika - Or use Smoked Paprika.
• Chili Powder - Use mild or hot.
• Chopped Cilantro - Or use Parsley.
Alternative Spice Mixtures
- While the original recipe has a flavorful combination of spices, you can customize the spice mixture to suit your taste.
- Smoky Paprika Blend: Replace the paprika and chili powder with smoked paprika for a smoky undertone. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for extra heat if desired.
- Cajun Seasoning: Use Cajun seasoning instead of the paprika and chili powder for a robust and spicy flavor.
- Italian Herb Blend: Replace the paprika and chili powder with a combination of dried Italian herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Lemon Herb: Add the zest of a lemon to the spice mixture for a fresh citrus taste. Combine with dried herbs like parsley, dill, and thyme.
Here are some alternative spice ideas:
Can Other Potatoes be Used?
- Absolutely! While the recipe calls for Russet potatoes, you can use other types of potatoes to make delicious baked wedges. Here are a few ideas:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: These potatoes have a buttery, creamy texture and thin skin. A great alternative to Russet potatoes. They will make crispy oven wedges with tender insides.
- Red Potatoes: Red potatoes are slightly waxy potatoes and a subtly sweet flavor. They hold their shape well when baked, resulting in crispy wedges with a creamy center.
- Sweet Potatoes: Try using sweet potatoes. Sweet potato Fries will have a naturally sweet flavor and a slightly softer texture compared to regular potatoes. They are a healthier alternative and delicious option that pairs well with various spices and seasonings.
- When substituting potatoes in the recipe, keep in mind that different types of potatoes may have varying cooking times due to differences in moisture content and density. Adjust the baking time as needed to ensure the wedges are cooked through and crispy.
- Experiment with different potato varieties to find your favorites. Whether you choose traditional potatoes or opt for sweet potatoes, these baked wedges will make a great side dish or snack.
How to Make Oven Baked Potato Wedge Fries
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Wash the potatoes well, then slice them in half lengthwise. Cut each half in half again, and then cut each quarter in half at an angle to create evenly sized wedges.
3. Transfer the potato wedges into a large bowl and fill with cold water. Set aside to soak for about 30 minutes (this optional step releases the extra potato starch so they get crispy).
4. Drain the water and pat the potatoes dry with paper towels, then add back to the bowl.
5. Add the vegetable oil and minced garlic. Toss until the wedges are evenly coated. Set aside.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, cornstarch, black pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder. Mix well.
7. Add the cheese and spice mixture to the potato wedges in the large mixing bowl. Gently toss until all wedges are thoroughly coated.
8. Evenly spread the coated potato wedges in a single layer onto each baking sheet pan. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375°F and continue baking for 40 minutes or until crispy.
9. While the potato wedges are still hot, toss them with the freshly chopped cilantro.
10. Serve warm with your favorite toppings or dipping sauces.
Ideas for Dipping Sauces
- Adding a dipping sauce can elevate the flavors of your oven baked potato wedges. If you don't already have a favorite dipping sauce, try one of these easy dip recipes:
- Sour Cream and Chive: Mix together sour cream, finely chopped fresh chives, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. This creamy and tangy sauce pairs perfectly with the crispy wedges.
- Garlic Aioli: Combine mayonnaise, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. This garlicky and creamy sauce adds a delightful punch of flavor to the potato wedges.
- Spicy Ketchup: Mix ketchup with a splash of hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. Adjust the heat level to your preference. This sauce adds a tangy and spicy element to the wedges.
- Barbecue Sauce: Drizzle your favorite barbecue sauce over the baked potato wedges or serve it as a dipping sauce on the side. The smoky and tangy flavors of barbecue sauce complement the crispy wedges.
- Chipotle Mayo: Blend mayonnaise with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. This creamy and smoky sauce adds a delightful heat and flavor to the wedges.
- Ranch Dressing: Serve the potato wedges with classic ranch dressing. The cool and creamy dressing with a hint of herbs and tanginess pairs well with the crispy wedges.
- Easy Fry Sauce: Mix Mayonnaise and ketchup together in equal amounts.
Pairing Ideas for Main Courses
- The crispy baked potato wedges can be paired with various main dishes to create a satisfying and well-rounded meal. Here are some delicious options:
- Grilled Chicken: Serve baked potato wedges alongside juicy grilled chicken breasts or thighs, or fried chicken for a flavorful meal.
- Steak: Pair the potato wedges with a perfectly cooked steak for a delicious meal.
- Fish Tacos: Create a delightful meal by serving the potato wedges alongside flavorful fish tacos, complementing the vibrant slaw and creamy sauce.
- Burgers: A classic beef burger, chicken burgers, turkey burgers, or a veggie burger with the crispy potato wedges makes a perfect side dish with the meal.
- Barbecue Ribs: The smoky barbecue ribs pair wonderfully with crispy potato wedges.
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers: Enjoy the crispy potato wedges alongside light, flavorful grilled shrimp skewers.
• If you have leftover baked potato wedges, you can store them in an airtight container or zip-closure baggie in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
• To reheat, place them on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or in an air fryer until they become crispy again.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
These baked potato wedges are a versatile and delicious side to any meal. Pair them with your favorite main courses for a great meal.
Whether you're hosting a barbecue, having a casual meal, or in the mood for a tasty snack, these crispy baked potato wedges are sure to be a hit!
Leave me a comment with a star rating if you make this recipe. I'd love to hear how you liked it!
Baked Potato Wedges
- 2 Large Baking Sheet Pans
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Small and 1 large Mixing Bowls.
- 5 large Russet Potatoes scrubbed & cut into 8 wedges
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ¼ cup Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the potatoes well, then slice in half long ways. Cut each half in half again, then cut each quarter in half at an angle so they are even in size. you’ll end up with 8 wedges per potato (make sure they are all close to the same thickness and size).
- Transfer the potato wedges into a large bowl and fill with cold water. Set aside to soak for about 30 minutes (this optional step releases the extra potato starch so they get crispy). Drain the water and pat the potatoes dry with paper towels.
- Transfer the wedges into a large mixing bowl and add the vegetable oil and minced garlic. Mix until all of the potato wedges are covered. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the parmesan, cornstarch, black pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and chili powder.
- Add the cheese/spice mixture to the potato wedges in the bowl and mix until all wedges are well coated.
- Evenly spread the potato wedges onto the 2 prepared baking sheets in a single layer, not too close together. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375° and continue baking for 40 minutes or until crispy and the insides are tender.
- Once baked, remove from the oven. While the potato wedges are still hot, toss with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings/dipping sauce.