Classic Cucumber Salad is tart and sweet, with crisp marinated cucumber slices and red onion. This is an easy salad to make that goes well with beef, pork, and chicken. A very delicious cucumber dill salad recipe.
Classic Cucumber Salad
I have always thought of cucumber salad as a picnic recipe. The cool, crisp cucumbers in a light marinade are so refreshing on a hot day.
We have had this as a vegetable side dish in every season, not just summer!
This retro salad recipe is elegant enough to serve your guests, and still casual to have at a BBQ.
The steps to make this refreshing vegetable side dish salad are easy. Here they are:
Can I Skip The Salting Step?
This step is what I call "sweating" the cucumbers. That's when extra moisture is pulled out of them before preparing the final salad.
You can skip this step if you want, but your cucumber salad will have extra water in it.
The cukes release water when they come in contact with salt. The salad won't be too salty because you will drain that liquid off.
The little salt left on the cucumbers will be just enough to season them, and will thin out after adding the other ingredients.
This salad will keep for a couple of days in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
You Might Also Like
Broccoli Grape Salad Recipe
Slow Cooker Sour Cream Onion Mashed Potatoes
Pin This Easy Salad Recipe
If you make this classic cucumber dill salad, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I would like to know how you liked it!
Classic Cucumber Salad
- 3-4 Cucumbers thinly sliced (peeling is optional, I peel half)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp Dried Dill Weed or 1-2 Tbsp fresh Dill
- 3/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 cup Sugar start with 1/4 cup and taste marinade before adding to the salad. Add more if you want it sweeter
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Pepper optional
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle them with the salt. Stir to coat all of the slices.
- Place in the fridge and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the bowl of cucumbers from the fridge and drain the liquid and discard it.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the vinegar, sugar, and water over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers. Then cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to chill about 2-4 hours to marinate the cucumbers. Overnight is even better!
- Add pepper and stir. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Serve cold.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This salad is so delicious. My mom used to make one similar. Will definitely be making it again!