Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish is made with hand breaded Tilapia filets, nuggets, or strips and is served with a delicious homemade tartar sauce. This is a nice recipe for breaded fish baked in the oven. You can have this easy and delicious, perfect weeknight seafood dinner on the dinner table in about 30 minutes. One of my favorite Tilapia recipes!
Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish
This Baked Tilapia fish recipe has a crispy, seasoned panko breading crust with parmesan cheese on the outside with tender fresh tilapia on the inside.
This easy fish recipe is a tasty way to prepare fresh or frozen tilapia. Instead of grilling them or just searing them, I enjoy breading the fish pieces. We love having a nice crispy crunch with every bite of juicy tilapia.
This recipe is very versatile and can be customized to your liking. I have used my favorite seasonings to pair with the panko breadcrumbs.
You can use freshly made tartar sauce like we make with this recipe, buy your own, or change it out for other dipping sauces, whatever makes your tummy happy!
Why Use Tilapia?
- Tilapia is sometimes called the “chicken of the sea”. It is a popular choice to mass-produce on fish farms and since it’s mild in flavor, it’s like chicken, very versatile and kids can easily enjoy it without a strong taste.
- It’s very versatile and can be used in various recipes.
- Tilapia is readily available all over the globe as it’s become one of the most common fish to farm anywhere.
- This fish is also very inexpensive compared to many other fish and is a great lean source of protein. Tilapia is also a great source of a few vitamins and minerals.
Can I Use Different Fish?
Yes, you can use another fish but it needs to be a firm fish and one that’s not too thick. Catfish, Flounder or Sole are good options, catfish having the milder flavor. Also consider Snapper, Bass, or Trout.
Is Tilapia Fishy?
Tilapia is more of a mild fish with not an overbearing fish flavor, making this a very popular fish choice for many, especially those with kids.
How to Make Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish
• Preheat the oven to 400° F and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
• Combine the flour, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish. In another dish, pour the eggs. In a third shallow dish combine the parmesan, panko and parsley flakes.
• Cut the tilapia filets into strips or nugget sized pieces. Dredge each piece in the flour, then the egg and finally in the panko.
• Place the fish on the pan and place in the oven.
• Bake the fish in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
• Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the fish.
Can You Make This Tilapia Recipe in the Air Fryer?
- This Parmesan Crusted Tilapia can also be cooked in the Air Fryer at 400°F. Make sure to spray your filets with cooking spray first before frying for 8 minutes, then flip, spray the other side of the filets and fry on that side for an additional 4 minutes.
- This is the perfect alternative for when you don’t want to heat up the house with the oven or already have something baking in there.
What to Serve With Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish
Pair any of your favorite side dishes with this Baked Parmesan Crusted Tilapia. I like to serve it with my Easy Rice Salad or other salads, vegetables, coleslaw, starches, etc.
Here are some super yummy ideas:
Peach Salad with Blueberries and Feta
Broccoli Grape Salad
Mashed Potato Casserole
Southern Green Beans, Bacon and Potatoes
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish Tips and Variations
- Swap out the panko for seasoned Italian bread crumbs, or make your own.
- If you like a little spice, add some Old Bay to your seasonings.
- For an even crispier crust, broil for a few minutes at the end of your bake time.
How to Store Baked Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
• Place leftover fish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
• Be sure that you also store your homemade tartar sauce in a jar or small container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Reheat Parmesan Crusted Fish
• You can reheat your fish in the oven, just as you baked it for a few minutes until it’s reheated all the way through.
• Alternatively, you may also reheat your fish in the Air Fryer at 400°F for 4 minutes, check doneness, flip and reheat for a few more minutes if necessary.
More Easy Recipes You Might Like
Making Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish is a great healthy and light dinner option to serve to family and friends. It’s an easy dinner choice that everyone will enjoy.
If you make this tasty baked Tilapia recipe, please let me know. You can leave a comment with a star rating below. I would love to know how you liked it!
Baked Parmesan Crusted Fish
- Baking Sheet Pan
- ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 cup Seasoned Panko
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 4 large Tilapia Filets
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Dill Pickle Relish
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish. In another dish, pour the eggs. In a third shallow dish combine the parmesan, panko and parsley flakes.
- Cut the tilapia filets into strips or nugget sized pieces. Dredge each piece in the flour, then the egg and finally in the panko.
- Place the fish on the pan and place in the oven.
- Bake the fish for 10-12 minutes.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the fish.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.