Classic Dump Cake is a fantastic dessert that tastes amazing! Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake is a delicious quick dessert and very easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep, you can have a delicious dessert ready in no time. This dump cake recipe is sure to impress your friends and is destined to be a family favorite dessert recipe.
Classic Dump Cake Recipe
Dump cake recipes are some of the easiest desserts to make, always turning out delicious. This cherry dump cake recipe with pineapple is one of my husband's favorite things.
- A Dump Cake is kind of a hybrid fruit cobbler and cake recipe. It is a decadent dessert that consists of canned fruit or fruit fillings, a box of cake mix, and butter.
- The ingredients are literally "dumped" into a baking dish in layers (usually no mixing needed) and baked until bubbly and golden brown.
- The result is a delicious cake that is moist on the bottom, a little crunchy on top, very flavorful, and perfect for special occasions or anytime.
What is a Dump Cake?
- Cut the fruit into small pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Adjust the sugar level as fresh fruit may require more or less sweetness compared to canned fruit.
- Consider adding a tablespoon or two of cornstarch to the fruit to help thicken any excess liquid that may be released during baking (depending on the type of fruit).
- Have fun experimenting with different fruits! Some delicious fresh fruit options to use in easy dump cakes include sliced frozen or fresh peaches, diced fresh apples, or mixed berries.
Can Fresh Fruit Be Used in a Dump Cake?
Yes, fresh fruit can be used in dump cake instead of canned fruit. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using fresh fruit:
Can You Use Homemade Cake Mix?
Yes you can. Find a simple recipe for yellow or white cake mix and use that.
What Size Baking Dish is Needed?
This easy dump cake recipe needs a 9x13-inch baking dish.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients for this Classic Dump Cake:
• Canned Cherry Pie Filling
• Crushed Pineapple
• A box of Yellow Cake Mix or White Cake Mix
• Chopped Nuts (optional)
How to Make This Easy Dump Cake
This cherry pineapple dump cake is perfect to whip up when you are wanting a sweet treat with minimal prep work. This is the easiest dessert recipe!
1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Add the cherry pie filling to the bottom of the baking dish, using a spatula to spread it out.
3) Pour the crushed pineapple with the juice evenly on top of the cherry pie filling. Use a spatula to spread it out.
4) Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over top the crushed pineapple.
5) Melt ½ cup (1 stick) of the butter and pour the melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix. It won't be too even, but that's okay.
6) Slice the remaining ½ cup of butter into small slices. Place the pieces of butter on the top of the cake mix, evenly distributed.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-55 minutes baking time, until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
8) Let cool to warm and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
Average cans of pineapple at the grocery store seem to most often come in 15 oz and 20 oz size. Both sizes have worked for me.
Can You Make Dump Cake in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can make this simple dessert recipe in a crockpot. Simply follow the recipe as written but instead of baking it in the oven, cook it in the crock pot on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
How to Serve This Cake
This easy dessert recipe is delicious on its own, but, the best way to serve Pineapple Cherry Dump Cake is with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! You can also top it with whipped cream.
How to Store Your Leftover Cake
For best results, cover leftover cake with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or put in an airtight container and store at in the fridge for up to 3 days. I think it tastes best at room temperature or warmed up just a bit.
Some of the Best Dump Cake Recipes:
• Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake - Use canned cherry pie filling and a chocolate cake mix.
• Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake - Use a lemon cake mix and blueberry pie filling.
• Blueberry Dump Cake - Blueberry pie filling and a white cake mix.
• Pumpkin Dump Cake - A little mixing involved. Canned pumpkin, milk, eggs, spices, yellow cake mix.
• Chocolate dump cake recipe for the chocolate lovers - Instant pudding, milk, chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips.
• Pineapple Upside Dump Cake - Crushed pineapple and maraschino cherries, white or yellow cake mix.
And many other versions exist. Get creative using those canned peaches that are in your pantry for an easy peach dump cake recipe. Also, try other flavors of cake mixes.
You Might Like These Easy Dessert Recipes
This easy recipe for Classic Dump Cake is the perfect dessert for potlucks and parties! I hope you enjoy this timeless retro dessert recipe! Please comment below if you make it!
Classic Dump Cake
- 9x13-inch Baking Dish
- Microwave Safe Cup
- 1 21 oz can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple* with juice (or 15 oz)
- 1 15.25 oz box Yellow Cake Mix (or white)
- 1 cup Butter divided in half (2 sticks)
- ½ cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the cherry pie filling to the bottom of the baking dish, using a spatula to spread it out.
- Pour the crushed pineapple with the juice evenly on top of the cherry pie filling. Use a spatula to spread it out.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over top the crushed pineapple.
- If using chopped nuts, sprinkle them over the top.
- Melt ½ cup (1 stick) of the butter and pour evenly over the top of the cake mix. It won't be too even, but that's okay.
- Slice the remaining ½ cup of butter into small slices. Place the pieces of butter on the top of the cake mix, evenly distributed.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let cool to warm and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.