Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter is a delicious and convenient way to make sweet, Autumn spiced homemade apple butter in your crock pot. No need to peel and core any apples! This crockpot applebutter recipe is so easy, and it makes a wonderful food gift!
What is Apple Butter?
Apple Butter is a condiment, or spread. It is thick like jam, but not as sticky.
Contrary to what the name says, there is no butter in apple butter! There is no fat at all, actually.
The apples, or in this case, applesauce, cooks over a long period of time so it reduces and becomes nice and thick and spreadable.
The flavors of the apples and the warm spices become concentrated, giving this delightful Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter amazing flavor.
Not only can you spread it on toast and muffins, you can dissolve it in liquid (such as this Apple Butter Old Fashioned Cocktail from Simply Happy Foodie).
Who doesn't Like a Shortcut?
This yummy recipe is a favorite in my family. If you have never eaten apple butter, I urge you to make this! It is the easier, shortcut version.
That means you don't have to peel, core, and chop up 5 pounds of apples to make it. Just use applesauce!
What Does Apple Butter Go On?
This is such an easy recipe to make. You just add the applesauce, sugar, and spices to the crock and cook until it is thickened.
A Few Tips for Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter
• Be sure to use unsweetened applesauce.
• Use Apple Cider and Not Apple Juice (it needs the acidity)
• Cook the first couple hours of the time with the lid on, and a tea towel between the lid and the crock. This will absorb extra condensation.
(Be sure to fold the ends of the tea towel on top of the lid so it doesn't touch the sides of the slow cooker).
• Remove the lid and stir. Then continue cooking with the lid off, that will help the apple butter thicken.
You Might Also Like
If you make this delicious apple butter recipe, let me know how you liked it. Please leave a comment with a star rating below.
Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter
- 6 quart slow cooker (3-4 qt size if halving the recipe)
- Pint Jars with Lids
- 2-3 quarts Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 cup Apple Cider (not juice)
- 2-3 cups Sugar
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Allspice
- ¾ tsp Ground Cloves
- Add all ingredients to the crock and stir.
- Place a tea towel between the lid and the crock. This is to absorb condensation. (Be sure to fold the ends of the tea towel on top of the lid so it doesn't touch the sides of the slow cooker).
- Cook on High for 8-10 hours, removing the lid and tea towel after 2 hours. Then cook without the lid for the remainder of the time. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. Cook longer to make it thicker and darker in color.
- Apple butter will be done when it is thick, sticking to a spoon when the spoon is turned upside down, and is dark in color.