Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter is a delicious and convenient way to make sweet, Autumn spiced homemade apple butter in your crock pot. No need to peel and core your apples!
What is Apple Butter?
Apple Butter is a condiment, or spread. It is thick like jam, but not as sticky.
Contrary to what the name says, there is no butter in apple butter! There is no fat at all, actually.
The apples, or in this case, applesauce, cooks over a long period of time so it reduces and becomes nice and thick and spreadable.
The flavors of the apples and the warm spices become concentrated, giving this delightful condiment amazing flavor.
Not only can you spread it on toast and muffins, you can dissolve it in liquid (such as this Apple Butter Old Fashioned Cocktail from Simply Happy Foodie).
Who doesn’t Like a Shortcut?
This yummy recipe is a favorite in my family. If you have never eaten apple butter, I urge you to make this! It is the easier, shortcut version.
That means you don’t have to peel, core, and chop up 5 pounds of apples to make it. Just use applesauce!
My favorite way to eat apple butter is on an Elephant Ear. Usually at the Fair. So delicious!
This is the easiest recipe to make. You just add the applesauce, sugar, and spices to the crock and cook until it is thickened.
A Few Tips
• Be sure to use unsweetened applesauce.
• Cook the first half of the time with the lid on, and a tea towel between the lid and the crock. This will absorb extra condensation.
(Be sure to fold the ends of the tea towel on top of the lid so it doesn’t touch the sides of the slow cooker).
• Remove the lid and stir. Then continue cooking with the lid off, that will help the apple butter thicken.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
If you make this delicious apple butter recipe, let me know how you liked it. Please leave a comment with a star rating below.
Slow Cooker Applesauce Apple Butter
- 6 quart slow cooker (3-4 qt size if halving the recipe)
- 3 quarts Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2-3 cups Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- Add all ingredients to the crock and stir.
- Place a tea towel between the lid and the crock. This is to absorb condensation. (Be sure to fold the ends of the tea towel on top of the lid so it doesn't touch the sides of the slow cooker).
- Cook on High for 8-10 hours, removing lid and tea towel halfway through. Stir halfway through as well. Check it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Apple butter will be done when it is thick, and dark in color.
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.