Easy Chicken Salad recipe is a delicious, classic main dish salad recipe. You can make everything from chicken salad sandwiches to green salads topped with it. This is our favorite Chicken Salad recipe because it is tasty, made with simple ingredients, and is the easiest thing to toss together. We often keep some on hand for quick lunches. This is a great recipe and is a nice way to use up leftover chicken.
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
Do you love the salads that don’t seem like salads? I’m talking about Egg Salad, Tuna Salad, and of course Chicken Salad! This is my version of chicken salad that makes a delicious meal with great flavor out of a handful of pantry staples.
I have served this easy recipe for traditional chicken salad at baby showers, luncheons, birthday parties, and for a quick dinner on a bed of lettuce or as a sandwich or low carb side dish. The best way to use leftover chicken!
Try this yummy salad on my Homemade Dinner Rolls (like a Chicken Salad Slider!).
What Goes in Homemade Chicken Salad?
This is a classic chicken salad recipe and has just a handful of simple basic ingredients:
• Cooked tender pieces of chicken
• Mayonnaise (try my Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe)
• Dijon mustard
• Green onions or red onion
• Fresh dill or dill weed
• Black pepper
• Dill pickle juice
• Salt or Seasoned Salt
What Kind of Chicken is Best for This Salad?
You can use cubed or shredded cooked chicken to make chicken salad. Some ideas are:
• Leftover chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
• A great way to use a shredded rotisserie chicken.
• Frozen precooked grilled chicken strips that you purchase in the grocery store (thaw it first).
• Cook a whole chicken and shred it.
• Canned chicken can be used.
How to Make the Best Chicken Salad Recipe
• Gather all of the ingredients together. Cube the chicken or shred it. Chop the celery and onion.
• Add all of the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.
• Mix it well. Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.
• Serve this easy salad on bread, on flour tortillas, on a bed of salad greens, or eat it as is.
What Can I Add to Chicken Salad?
Here are a few suggestions to add a sweet or savory flavor, or some crunch to your chicken salad:
• Grapes, Raisins or Craisins®
• Apples (any variety you like)
• Pickles (sweet or dill)
• Eggs (boiled & chopped)
• Olives (black, green, kalamata)
• Bell Peppers (any color)
• Dried Fruit (cranberries, apricots, etc.)
• Chopped Bacon, Cubed Ham (great way to use leftover meats)
• Sliced Almonds (blanched & toasted, or pecans)
• Cubes of Cheese (So many options)
• Curry Powder (or onion powder, ranch, fresh herbs, or other seasonings)
• Celery Seeds (or poppy seeds)
Is Chicken Salad Healthy?
I think it is already pretty healthy chicken salad, but you can change it up to fit your diet with just a few swaps:
• Use Chicken breast meat.
• Use low fat mayonnaise, low fat plain yogurt or sour cream (This is a nice low carb option, but check the labels to be sure).
• Add even more veggies- cucumber, carrot, etc.
• Slivered almonds are a great addition, too.
How Can I Serve Chicken Salad?
Serve chicken salad as a sandwich, over salad greens, on top of tomato slices, in lettuce cups for lettuce wraps, or in a flour tortilla as a delicious wrap sandwich. This makes an easy hearty lunch or high protein side dish.
The Best Chicken Salad Sandwich!
My personal favorite Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is: 1 or 2 slices of bread, mayo, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, some creamy chicken salad, a little pepper, and serve it open face style. It’s a great sandwich. Yum!
What Goes with Chicken Salad?
You can serve this amazing chicken salad with so many things:
• Alongside a pasta side dish
• With some salty potato chips
• With steamed or grilled vegetables
• Fruit salad
• Or with whatever salad ingredients you like.
More Easy Lunch Recipes
Tips for This Delicious Salad
- Double or triple the recipe in a large bowl to make a big batch to serve a crowd or a larger family.
- Only add a little salt at first. Then taste and add more if needed.
- Try using plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, or Miracle Whip in place of mayo (it will be tangy so taste as you go).
- Use fresh lemon juice in place of pickle juice.
- Try adding some Frank’s Red Hot® sauce for a Buffalo Chicken Salad.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Keep refrigerated. For food safety purposes, don’t store at room temperature.
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad?
I don’t recommend freezing chicken salad as the mayonnaise will separate as it thaws.
To me, this is the perfect Chicken Salad recipe. Such a simple recipe that has so much flavor. A quick and easy meal!
Let Me Know How You Liked It!
If you made this Easy Chicken Salad Recipe please let me know! You can leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked it!
Easy Chicken Salad
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups Diced Cooked Chicken (white or dark meat, or a mix) or shredded rotisserie
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dill Weed (fresh, or ½ teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon Seasoned Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 rib Celery, diced
- 2 Green Onions, diced
- halved grapes, raisins or craisins, sliced almonds, bacon, cheese, etc.
- Gather all of the ingredients together. Cube the chicken or shred it. Chop the celery and onion.
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Taste and adjust salt, if necessary.
- Serve on bread, on flour tortillas, on a bed of salad greens, or eat it as is.