Classic Ham Salad recipe is a delicious savory sandwich spread or dip for crackers. This recipe for ham salad uses leftover ham or store-bought ham. Enjoy this delicious, old fashioned ham salad recipe straight from Nana's kitchen!
Classic Ham Salad
Ham salad sandwiches were a part of many of our childhoods, especially if you are of a "certain age". It is very popular in the American South.
This is one of the easiest recipes to make because there is very little chopping thanks to using your food processor.
If you don't have a food processor, it is still pretty easy, just takes a little more time. Totally worth it!
What is Ham Salad?
It is much like chicken salad or tuna salad. Only it is made with ham. You can use it as a sandwich spread, but also as a tasty dip for crackers.
The steps to make this yummy ham salad recipe are pretty simple:
A Soft Food Recipe
Ham Salad is a great "soft food" for people who have had dental work done, or kids who have had their braces adjusted and have sore gums.
Ham salad sandwiches with the filling piled high are one of our most favorite lunches to have.
This is also a great party dip recipe. Just put the ham salad in a bowl and serve it with crackers for dipping!
You Might Also Like
If you make this yummy old fashioned Ham Salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below in the comments section. I'd love to know how you liked it!
Old Fashioned Ham Salad
- Food processor or a knife
- 1 pound Fully Cooked Ham (Leftover ham or small ham portion works well. Smoked tastes best)
- 1 rib Celery, rough chopped
- ¼ sm Sweet Onion, rough chopped
- 2 Hard-boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Sweet Pickles, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish, or to taste
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Roughly chop the ham and add it to the bowl of a food processor, along with the celery and sweet onion. Pulse several times until the ham is finely chopped, but not a paste.
- Transfer the ham mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, sweet pickles (if using), relish, mayonnaise, Dijon, and pepper.
- Stir the mixture to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour or longer before serving, for best results.