Sometimes a batch of Chocolate Chip Muffins is just the treat you need in your life to bite into, am I right?! This light and fluffy, moist, slightly sweet homemade Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe is truly delicious. Enjoy a homemade muffin with chocolate chips for breakfast, brunch, or just because. This is an easy muffin recipe, and a delicious one!
Chocolate Chip Muffins
We’re all about simple, easy and delicious recipes here. Ones that fill your belly and keep you happy, and these Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins do not disappoint in any category. They’ve got that beautiful bakery-style dome top that is not just tasty, but beautiful as well.
These Chocolate Chip Muffins are just the perfect amount of sweet. The secret is using semi-sweet chocolate chips, light brown sugar and granulated white sugar. They’re not overly sweet, but just sweet enough. Feel free to adjust the sugar amounts as you like.
Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect treat to enjoy any time of the day. You can have one for an indulgent breakfast with a nice steaming mug of Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate.
Or share a made from scratch Chocolate Chip Muffin on your dessert table during the holidays, next to your Raisin Spice Bars, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and these fantastic, fudgy Double Chocolate Brownies.
How Do You Get That Gorgeous Bakery-Style Dome Muffin Top?
Muffin tops look so professional, don’t they? It is possible to get bakery-style dome muffin tops at home. Here’s how to get the best looking muffins:
- Make sure to use room temperature ingredients that will give you light, fluffy muffins with nice high tops.
- Be sure the batter has time to rest while the oven preheats.
- Don’t over mix your batter.
- Fill the muffin cups almost to the top.
- Bake the muffins at 425°F for the first 5 minutes. This will cause steam in the batter to release rapidly. Then reduce heat to 350°F without opening the oven door. This helps them get a nice dome shape.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Muffins From Scratch
• Gather all of the ingredients together. Prepare the muffin pan by Greasing each cup in the pan with butter or cooking spray.
• To a large bowl add the butter and sugars.
• Beat the butter and sugars together using a hand mixer on medium-high speed until it becomes light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
• Whisk the dry mixture together- flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
• Add eggs and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture in the large bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined.
• Carefully fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture in three equal parts, alternating with the milk and ending with the dry mx. Only mix until the flour disappears. Be sure not to over mix your batter.
• Add in ¾ of your chocolate chips. Fold in using a using a rubber spatula until evenly mixed in, don’t over mix.
• Preheat the oven to 425°F and let your muffin batter rest while it heats up.
• Pour or scoop the batter into the greased muffin cups, filling them close to the top. Sprinkle the last remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter.
• Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the muffin tops turn golden brown and you can insert a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean.
• Remove the muffin pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and serving.
Tips and Variations For The Best Muffins
- Swap out the regular semi- sweet chocolate chips for mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or cocoa nibs. You can swap this out for other varieties of chocolate if you like, White Chocolate Chips would be lovely as well.
- Since we don’t use liners in this recipe, make sure to grease the muffin cups in the pan well. You can use muffin liners if you wish.
- You can use all white sugar if you don’t have enough brown sugar. This will change the taste slightly.
- Feel free to use any milk in this recipe. But keep in mind that using lowfat milk will make your homemade chocolate chip muffins less flavorful and a little less moist.
- Use room temperature ingredients if you can. This helps them all mix evenly and easily to form the perfect silky smooth batter.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Muffins
To keep your homemade muffins fresh, store them in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature for 1-2 days. You can also store them in the fridge in the same container and they’ll stay fresh for 3-4 days.
These muffins from scratch can also be frozen. They’ll keep for 2 months if stored properly in an airtight freezer-safe, heavy duty freezer bag.
To Warm the Muffins If Desired
To get these Chocolate Chip Muffins reheated nice and warm all the way through, let them thaw for 4-5 hours on the counter and then preheat the oven to 350° F and reheat for 4-5 minutes. Ensure that they’re warm all the way through before enjoying it.
You Might Also Like These Muffin Recipes
If you make these delicious muffins with chocolate chips in them, please let me know! You can leave a comment below with a star rating and I will see it. I would like to know how you liked them!
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 12-cup Muffin Pan (or 2 6-cup Pans)
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 lg Eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (plus 3-4 tbsp more to sprinkle on top)
- Prepare the muffin pan by greasing the cups generously with butter or cooking spray and set aside. You can also use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and both the sugars, using an electric hand mixer at medium-high speed, until it turns light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. This is your dry mixture.
- Now, add the eggs and vanilla into the butter-sugar mixture and beat on medium-high speed until combined well. This is your wet mixture.
- Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture in three equal and separate additions, alternating with the milk and ending with the dry mix. Make sure that you only mix until the flour disappears. Do not over mix as that can make your muffins too dense.
- Gently fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips, using a silicone spatula, until evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and let the batter rest while the oven is heating.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling almost to the top. Sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425° F for 5 minutes, then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350° F and bake for another 13-15 minutes, or until the muffins turn golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack for further cooling, or serve warm.
StorageChocolate Chip Muffins will remain fresh for about 1-2 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature or for 3-4 days when stored in the fridge. Chocolate Chip Muffins can also be frozen for around 2 months when stored properly in a heavy-duty freezer bag. To warm, thaw them for 4-5 hours at room temperature and then bake them in a preheated oven at 35° F for 4-5 minutes or until heated.
- Make sure you grease the muffin cups generously as we are not using any liners. However, you can use liners if you want.
- You can use all white sugar if you don’t have brown sugar on hand.
- You can use any milk in the recipe. However, if you use lower fat milk, your muffins will be less flavorful and moist comparatively.
- Letting the batter rest while preheating the oven will help the muffins to rise perfectly and form a beautiful dome shape.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temp. This ensures that they mix evenly and easily in the batter.
- Baking muffins initially at 425°F will cause steam in the batter to release rapidly, this allows the muffins to form a beautiful dome. However, make sure you don’t bake them for more than 5-6 minutes at this temperature, otherwise the top and bottom might burn.