Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake is a delicious cake recipe that is perfect for potlucks, parties, or any occasion where you want a moist, lemony, tart and sweet cake for dessert. This lemon cake is easy to make, and tastes so good!
Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake
Poke cakes are a popular retro dessert recipe. The 1970’s was a fun time for easy recipes. The advent of semi-homemade recipes saw a rise at this time, and the poke cake recipes became a potluck staple.
They have endured through the decades, and we still love them!
What Is a Poke Cake?
A poke cake is a cake that, after baking, is poked full of holes. After piercing the top of the freshly baked cake, a sweet, creamy or syrupy and usually colorful liquid or puree, is poured over the cake to run into the holes to be absorbed by the cake.
Poke cakes were allegedly developed by the Jell-O company in the 1970’s, seemingly as a clever way to use their jell-o and pudding products. I remember seeing their old advertisements, and couldn’t find anything earlier, so I’m going with this.
This can add a fun contrast of colors and flavors.
Poke cakes are what I like to call a semi-homemade recipe. This easy cake recipe takes advantage of a box cake mix, so you will be able to make it fast!
This yummy Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake is moist, sweet & tart, a little gooey, and completely delectable!
The bite of fresh strawberries is a nice contrast to the soft texture of the lemon cake.
Some Variations of this Lemon Poke Cake
• Replace the lemon pudding with lemon jell-o.
• Try using strawberry jell-o instead.
• Replace the frosting with whipped cream for a lighter flavor.
• Garnish with some candied lemon peel for a tart bite.
You Might Also Like
If you make this tasty easy cake recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake
- 9"x13" baking dish
- 1 (15.25 oz) Box Lemon Cake mix
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 3 lg Eggs
- 1 cup Diced Strawberries, plus more for topping
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 (3.4 oz) package Instant Lemon Pudding
- 1 (16 oz) tub Lemon Frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray or grease a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, vegetable oil, water, and eggs.
- Use a mixer and beat for about 2 minutes until all is well combined.
- Fold in the diced strawberries.
- Pour batter into a sprayed 9"x13" baking dish.
- Bake according to the package at 350°F for about 25-28 minutes.
- Make lemon pudding by combining the cold milk with the packet and whisk until thick.
- Let the cake cool completely and then poke holes in the cake with the end of a small wooden spoon.
- Pour the lemon pudding over the cake and spread evenly.
- Remove foil and cap of the lemon frosting and microwave for about 20-25 seconds just until pourable (making sure not to over heat). Stir and pour over the cake. Spread with spatula to cover the entire cake.
- Top with the additional diced strawberries.