Easy Cake Mix Baked Pumpkin Donuts Recipe is a delicious treat that is fun to make! Even the kids can help. These easy baked donuts are perfect for the fall season, and are portable, so you can have them on the go! Pumpkin Cake Mix Donuts are made with just 4 ingredients, and have a cinnamon sugar coating you can add, or frost them if you like.
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
It's time for all things pumpkin! If you're looking for simple pumpkin cake mix recipes for fall, bake up a batch of these easy baked pumpkin doughnuts. They'll go great with your pumpkin spice latte!
All you need for this easy recipe is a box of cake mix, a can of pumpkin puree, and some sugar & spice. Enjoy them with a cinnamon sugar coating, or frost them with some cream cheese frosting.
These pumpkin donuts are the perfect way to celebrate Fall (Who doesn't like Fall recipes?). They are flavorful and have a light texture, and are less dense than typical baked donuts.
Which Cake Mix Works Best for These Donuts?
- You can use a yellow cake mix, white cake mix, or a spice cake mix (reduce the pumpkin pie spice if using this mix). You could even try a chocolate cake mix!
- There are many cake mixes out there, just try one that you think would go well with pumpkin spice flavor.
Equipment Needed to Make Delicious Donuts
Donut Pan (12-opening, or two 6-opening pans)
Piping Bag for piping the donut batter into the pan openings.
An Electric Mixer (hand mixer) or Stand Mixer.
Wire Rack for cooling your pumpkin donuts.
Where Can I Buy the Donut Pan?
They are easy to find on Donut Pan on Amazon, or try Walmart, Michael's, Joann Fabrics, or Hobby Lobby.
What if I Don't Have a Piping Bag?
- If you want to buy one, look for them in the baking aisle of your grocery store, or find a piping bag on Amazon.
- If you can't get a piping bag, grab a gallon size bag with a zip-top closure (the freezer bag is thicker than the storage bag and will hold up a lot better, but use what you have).
- Just cut a half inch off of one of the corners AFTER you fill it with the donut batter.
- You can also just spoon the batter into the openings of the pan.
Simple Ingredients for Pumpkin Cake Donuts
• Boxed Cake Mix
• 1 can of Pure Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling / pumpkin pie mix)
• Brown Sugar
• Pumpkin Pie Spice (or a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg)
• Melted Butter - Unsalted
• Granulated Sugar
How to Make Cake Mix Pumpkin Donuts
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir.
3) Add the canned pumpkin to the large mixing bowl.
4) Mix at medium speed, stopping halfway through to scrap the sides of the bowl.
5) Fill a piping bag or ziplock bag with batter, cutting off ½ inch from the bottom, and pipe batter into the openings of the coated donut pan. Or use a spoon to add the batter into the prepared pan.
6) Bake donuts for 10-12 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean, or the donut springs back when pressed.
7) Place donuts on a wire cooling rack and cool for 5 min.
Coat in Cinnamon sugar or frost them. Or enjoy them plain.
If coating in the cinnamon sugar, do so while still a little warm.
Or, if you are frosting them, let them cool completely. Then you can frost them with cream cheese frosting instead of the cinnamon sugar.
8) While the donuts are cooling, melt the butter in the microwave. In a separate, shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
9) Dip the donuts in the melted butter, and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture, coating both sides.
Then enjoy them a little warm, or serve them at room temperature.
Variations of Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts
Spice it up - To get more of the pumpkin spice donuts flavor, the best way is using a box of spice cake mix (and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice).
Make them mini - You can use a mini donut pan and make mini baked pumpkin donuts.
Just the holes - Use a mini muffin pan and make pumpkin donut holes.
Add chocolate - Mix mini chocolate chips into the batter.
Make them festive - If you are frosting the donuts, use themed sprinkles such as Halloween or fall sprinkles to match the occasion.
Sharing and Gifting this Easy Baked Pumpkin Donuts Recipe
- These are so good, you'll want to share them! This is such a simple recipe, it won't take too much time or effort.
- Get some gift bags that people use for treats, or small bakery boxes. and add one or two donuts to them. Tie with a festive ribbon and take to your Fall parties.
- Gift to teachers, delivery drivers, friends, and anyone who you think would appreciate a yummy cake doughnut!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need the other ingredients listed on the cake mix box to make pumpkin cinnamon sugar donuts?
Nope, all you need is the dry cake mix, the canned pumpkin, and the pumpkin pie spice.
- What can I use instead of cinnamon sugar?
You can frost the donuts with cream cheese frosting, or try chocolate frosting. Other options are maple glaze, or just enjoy them plain.
- Can I use my own homemade pumpkin puree?
Yes you can. You will need 2 cups for this donut recipe.
How Should the Donuts be Stored?
• They can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature in an airtight container such as this donut keeper. This will keep them fresh for next time. They will last about 3-5 days.
• For longer storage, or if you want to make them ahead of time, the donuts can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap each donut with plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer bag.
More Easy Pumpkin Recipes
Other Delicious Recipes That are Popular This Time of Year.
If you make this pumpkin donut recipe please leave a comment below with a star rating.
- Donut Pan
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- Piping Bag or gallon size ziplock baggie
Donut Base Recipe
- 1 Boxed Cake Mix (yellow or white)
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 15- oz can Pure Pumpkin Puree not pumpkin pie filling
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- ½ cup Butter melted (1 stick)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add dry cake mix, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice to a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Add the canned pumpkin puree and use the mixer at medium speed to mix until well combined, stopping halfway through to scrap the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Fill a piping bag (or large zip-lock bag with batter, cutting off ½ inch from the bottom), and pipe the batter into the coated donut pan (or just use a spoon).
- Bake for 10-12 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place donuts on a wire cooling rack and cool for 5 min.
Coat in the Cinnamon Sugar
- While the donuts are cooling, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Finally, dip the donuts in the melted butter, and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture, coating both sides.