Candy Cane Cookies are a retro classic Christmas Cookie recipe. You can have red or green stripes, or any other color you want. I show you step-by-step how to make these cute Holiday cookies!
Candy Cane Christmas Cookies
We love to bake Holiday cookies that remind us of our childhood. A fun retro Christmas cookie can really make the Holidays special!
You normally see these Candy Cane Sugar Cookies with a traditional red stripe. I wanted to show you how cute these look with green stripes! You can use any color you like.
Making Christmas cookie recipes is such a great part of the Holiday season traditions. It's fun to get the whole family in on the fun.
Holiday Cookie Baking
These candy cane shaped sugar cookies are perfect for a cookie exchange, or to bring to a Holiday party to share.
Enjoy Christmas Candy Cane Cookies with a glass of milk or hot cocoa!
It's not difficult to mix up a batch of these delicious candy cane sugar cookies. Let the kids help with the shaping of the canes.
Make the butter and sugar mixture in one bowl. Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.
Add some milk and form the dough. Chill the dough for about an hour.
Divide the dough in half. Add food coloring to one half of the dough (use any color you like).
Make four equal sized balls from each half of the dough. Roll each ball into 21-inch ropes.
Lay one white and one colored rope next to each other, and cut into five equal pieces. repeat with remaining ropes.
Twist the two colored pieces together. Repeat with all of the pieces.
Shape the twists into canes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake.
You can sprinkle confectioner's sugar on the cookies for a little bit of extra sweetness, and a snowy look.
Can I Make these Into Vegan Cookies?
Yes you can! Just swap out the butter with vegan butter, and switch the whole milk to either soy milk or almond milk.
You Might Also Like
If you make these cute Christmas Cookie Candy Canes, please let me know.
Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd love to know how you liked them!
Candy Cane Cookies
- Baking Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Flour Sifter
- Mixing Bowls
- ½ cup Butter
- ¾ cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- Green Food Coloring (or red, blue, etc.)
- Confectioner's Sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar together. Add vanilla extract and mix again.
- In another bowl, sift flour, add baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients into the large bowl. Work with your hand until a crumbly dough is formed. Now add milk and keep working with your hand until a softer dough is formed. Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Assembling the Cookies
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Place 1 dough in a bowl then add food coloring. Mix until you get the desired color.
- Divide the white dough into 4 small balls and the colored dough also in 4 small balls.
- Assembling. Carefully roll each dough with your hand to create a rope of about 21 inches.
- Cut rope into 5 equal pieces then place the white and the green dough next to each other.
- Gently twist together and curve the top of the dough into a candy cane shape.
- Transfer to the baking tray. Repeat the same with each dough. Leave a bit of space between the cookies.
Bake the Cookies
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking tray.
- Optional: Sift confectioner's sugar onto the candy cane cookies.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.