An Easy Coleslaw Recipe makes a great addition to your meal. Cole Slaw pairs well with burgers, barbecue, and so many other meals. With a sweet-tangy dressing, this little cabbage salad is delicious and versatile!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Coleslaw is a delicious cabbage salad. Often served at picnics, this salad can have any number of ingredients in it.
Today’s recipe is what I like to call a more pure version of coleslaw. A nod to my mom’s Southern roots.
What Makes a Good Coleslaw?
The first key to a good coleslaw is a great tasting dressing. You want it to be a little sweet, but not too sweet. And have a little tang to it.
You’ll also want to start with a fresh coleslaw mix, or get some cabbage and shred it yourself. I have found that the bagged mixes are great, and so convenient!
Also, most of the coleslaw mixes do not contain onion, so you can add some for a nice flavor. Totally optional.
Coleslaw is super easy to make, here are the steps:
Some Great Ways to Serve Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- As a simple, but flavorful side salad.
- Serve on top of a pulled pork or chicken sandwich.
- Add cooked chicken and make a main dish salad out of it.
Note: When you first dress this cole slaw it might seem like there isn’t enough dressing on it. But after it sits a while, it softens up a bit, and when you stir it you will see that there is more dressing in the bottom of the bowl.
This is normal as the salt is extracting the water from the vegetables. It shouldn’t be too much as you do want it a little “juicy”.
You Might Also Like
If you make this yummy coleslaw recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below in the comments section.
I’d love to know how you liked it!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 14 oz bag Coleslaw Mix
- ½ sm Red Onion, diced
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Celery Seed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt (or coarse salt)
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Add the coleslaw mix and diced red onion to a bowl.
- In another smaller bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon, apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to coat with the dressing.
- For best flavor, chill at least 30 minutes before serving for flavors to develop.