Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken recipe is a delicious budget-friendly meal. With just 3 ingredients, this slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken will be ready for tacos, burritos, taco bowls, enchiladas, or salads! Crockpot Salsa Chicken is also a great meal planning recipe.
This is a delicious, easy crock pot chicken recipe that is very budget friendly!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
If you have some chicken in your fridge and are looking for a super easy, cheap dinner recipe to make that has minimal ingredients, this is it!
Salsa Chicken is chicken that is cooked with salsa and seasonings, and then shredded. The result is flavorful shredded meat that can be served in a variety of ways.
Which Cut of Chicken is Best for Salsa Chicken?
I typically use boneless/skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could also use boneless/skinless chicken thighs (or a combination of both).
Can I Use Any Type of Salsa?
• I think so. I have tried the jarred variety you find on the shelf near the chips, and the kind you find in the deli section.
• Use the kind that you think tastes the best to you. I would say not too watery (if it is, drain a little of the excess water from it).
How to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Add chicken to the crock in one layer and coat it with the taco seasoning. Then pour the salsa over the chicken to cover it. Cook until chicken is 165°F.
Shred the cooked chicken using two forks, or with a hand mixer on low speed. Be careful as it can get messy if you have the mixer at too high of a speed.
Can I Freeze Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken?
Yes you can. Freeze in an air-tight container or zip-closure freezer baggies for up to 3 months. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Add more salsa if you want, or hot sauce, etc. as desired.
You Might Also Like
If you make this flavorful, easy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken recipe, please let me know. Just comment below with a star rating. I would like to know how you liked it!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 3 8-oz Chicken Breasts More or less as desired
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (use more for larger or more chicken breasts)
- 16 ounces Salsa (2 cups)
- Fresh Lime Wedges (squeeze over chicken to taste)
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken.
- Pour the salsa over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on Low for 3-4 hours, or High for about 2 hours (chicken breast is done when the internal temperature reads 165°F).
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks or an electric mixer on low speed.
- Taste and add salt, if needed. Add more salsa if desired.
- Serve with desired garnishes over rice, or in burritos, tacos, or on a salad.