Southern Green Beans Bacon and Potatoes are a classic recipe from the American South. Green beans cooked low and slow with bacon and potatoes are a delicious and simple meal.
Green Beans Bacon and Potatoes
This recipe was my grandpa's. I would often walk into his house and smell the green beans and bacon cooking on the stove. What a great memory!
This is a super easy one-pot recipe, and you can cook it on the stove on low while you do other things around the house.
Green Beans Bacon and Potatoes can be a side dish, or a main dish.
We like to use corn bread to sop up the "pot likker", which is the liquid in the pot.
An Easy Recipe
The process to make this delicious green beans and bacon recipe is really easy.
1) Cook the bacon.
2) Cook the onion in the bacon fat.
3) Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for at least an hour. You want the green beans to be very soft. That's how they like them in the South!
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
If you made this tasty Southern Green Beans Bacon and Potatoes recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd love to know how you liked it!
Southern Green Beans Bacon and Potatoes
- 6 slices Bacon uncooked, cut in thirds
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 med Onion diced
- 1 lg clove Garlic minced
- 8 sm New Potatoes
- 2 lbs Fresh Green Beans ends trimmed and cut in half
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth or Water just to cover
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, or large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until it renders its fat.
- Add the butter, onion and garlic. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add the potatoes and green beans. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add water just until covered and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook about 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the green beans are very soft.
- Stir halfway through, and add more broth or water if the green beans become exposed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve with some cornbread to sop up the "pot likker" (broth).
Resources to Make this Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.