These chicken sliders are perfect for a creative and easy weeknight meal. Are you looking for something new and delicious to serve your family for dinner this week? These chicken enchilada sliders are great! The best part is that you can whip this easy meal up in only 40 minutes! Sliders are always a hit, but when you make them with spicy, saucy chicken meat and cheese on Hawaiian rolls, they will get 5 stars!
Best Chicken Enchilada Sliders
This recipe takes your traditional chicken enchiladas and turns them into an easy handheld slider sandwich the whole family will love and can enjoy for a weeknight dinner or as a game day party meal!
Gameday or not, these delicious mini sandwiches will satisfy. They are the perfect size to enjoy as finger food at your next family gathering. These sliders are so tasty. Once you serve these, the whole family will be requesting them at the next get-together.
What is a Slider?
- A slider is an American name for a small hamburger usually around 2-inches across, made with a small bun.
- The name came about in the 1940s, when sailors in the U.S. Navy would call the mini-burgers “sliders” because they were quite greasy. The burger would slide right down in a couple of bites!
- White Castle, a popular American fast food chain restaurant, is credited with selling and creating the first slider burgers and selling them.
- Nowadays we also use the term “slider” to describe a small sandwich made on a bun or dinner roll and baked in the oven (Using Hawaiian dinner rolls are super popular as well).
What Are Chicken Enchiladas?
- Enchiladas are traditionally a Mexican cuisine of corn tortillas filled with a variety of ingredients like chicken, beef, vegetables, rice, cheese, and more. They are covered in a savory enchilada sauce, either red or green and melted cheese.
- Enchiladas come with a range of filling combinations, but we took a unique take on the dish. In this version of the Enchilada, we are taking a traditional Mexican dish and giving it an American twist, giving you these delicious mini sandwiches.
What is in a Chicken Enchilada Slider?
• Chicken enchilada sliders are, you guessed it, a hybrid between a slider and traditional enchiladas. Cooked shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, spices, and cheese on dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls. The perfect combination if you ask me!
• This recipe is relatively simple and easy to make. Try my recipe for Homemade Enchilada Sauce that is easy to make and very delicious.
Chicken Enchilada Slider Recipe Ingredients
To make these yummy sliders, you’ll need:
Olive Oil, Diced Onion, Minced Garlic, Chicken Meat, Red Enchilada Sauce (Store-bought or homemade enchilada sauce), Slider Buns, Hawaiian Rolls or Dinner Rolls, Mexican Blend Cheese, Unsalted Butter, Mexican Oregano, Chopped Cilantro, Avocado.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Sliders
• Gather together the ingredients you will need. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
• Melt the butter in a small pan. Then add the garlic and the Mexican oregano and cook for 1 minute. Remove from Heat and set aside.
• Cut the slider rolls in half lengthwise and place the bottom half of the slider buns in the pan.
• Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and cook the small onion and garlic over low heat until they are translucent. You can also brown them for more flavor.
• Next, add the chicken meat to the onions and stir in the enchilada sauce. Allow that to simmer for 2 minutes. You can also use shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken if you have that on hand.
• While that’s simmering, preheat the oven to 350°F.
• After that, spread the enchilada chicken mixture over the rolls, covering them edge to edge.
• Top with the cheese.
• Next, place the top of the rolls on top of the cheese and cooked chicken filling.
• Stir the melted butter mixture and brush over the tops of the rolls. Use all of it.
• Tent a piece of tinfoil over the rolls and place it in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the tinfoil and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the tops have slightly browned.
• Remove the pan of sliders from the oven and sprinkle with the cilantro.
• Top with avocado slices and serve.
What to Serve with Chicken Enchilada Sliders
Depending on the occasion, you can serve these chicken enchilada sliders alongside other finger foods for your game day party or as your main dinner course. Serve with a Classic Cucumber Salad or a delicious Peach Salad with Blueberries and Feta.
If you are adding your sliders to a game day table, you might want to consider adding Authentic Mexican Rice or Slow Cooker Corn on the Cob to your menu. No matter how you serve these chicken sliders, you’re sure to enjoy them!
Chicken Enchilada Slider Tips and Variations
- Jazz up your sliders with some diced fresh jalapenos to up the heat level. Or add a slice of tomato and some guacamole.
- It is important to cover with tinfoil during the first part of baking, or the tops of the rolls will burn before the sliders are ready.
- Sliders aren’t just for game day or a sports party! Take them to potlucks, picnics, and casual gatherings, or serve any night of the week for a quick dinner.
How to Store Chicken Enchilada Sliders
• Store these small sandwiches in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Chicken enchilada sliders are just as delicious the next day, making a great snack or leftovers for your next busy family dinner.
• You can store them in a Tupperware container and take them to work the next day or send them with the kiddos for lunch.
• Warm the leftover chicken sliders up, or serve them at room temperature for the best flavor.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you make these delicious Chicken Enchilada Sliders recipe, please let me know. You can kleave a comment with a star rating below. I’d like to know how you liked them!
Chicken Enchilada Sliders
- 9x13-inch Baking Dish
- Small Saucepan
- Pastry Brush
- Frying Pan
- Serving spatula
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano (or regular oregano)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Diced Onion
- 4 cups Cooked Chicken, shredded (a rotisserie chicken works well)
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce
- 12 Slider Buns (Hawaiian Rolls work very well)
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Avocado, sliced (optional)
- Gather together all of the ingredients and spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add 1 teaspoon of the garlic and the Mexican oregano and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the rolls in half lengthwise and place the bottom half in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and remaining 2 teaspoons of the garlic over low heat until translucent, or brown them for more flavor.
- Add the chicken to the onions and stir in the enchilada sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spread the enchilada chicken mixture over the rolls edge to edge and top with the cheese.
- Place the tops of the rolls on top the chicken and cheese.
- Stir the butter mixture and brush over the tops of the rolls. Use all of it. Tent a piece of foil over the rolls and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes covered, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the tops have slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the cilantro. Let cool just a few minutes before topping with avocado slices (optional). Use a spatula to serve the sliders.
- Jazz up your sliders with some diced jalapenos, a slice of tomato or some guacamole.
- It is important to cover with foil during the first part of baking or the tops of the rolls will burn before the sliders are ready.
- Sliders aren’t just for game day! Take them to gatherings, or serve any night of the week for a quick dinner.