This Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe has so much flavor and tastes better than the canned stuff. Make a batch of this red Enchilada Sauce and keep it in the fridge to use in Pozole, enchiladas, burritos, and many other recipes. This is a quick enchilada sauce recipe.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Sometimes making something from scratch, rather than buying it in a can, is easier and tastes way better than you think!
That’s how this delicious quick enchilada sauce recipe is. Easy and delicious! Use this red sauce on enchiladas, burritos, tacos, in Pozole (Posole), and more.
Is This Red Enchilada Sauce Spicy?
This red Enchilada Sauce is not very spicy. You can make it spicier by using a hot chili powder, adding a chipotle in adobo (which also adds a smoky flavor), chipotle powder, or just add some hot sauce.
Tips For Making Enchilada Sauce
• To make this red enchilada sauce, you will make a roux, then whisk in the broth till thickened.
• Once the sauce gets a little thickened, the remaining ingredients are added and the sauce will simmer till the sauce is the consistency you like.
• If your sauce is too thin, let it cook a little longer. If it gets too thick, add a little chicken broth to thin it out.
How to Make the Best Enchilada Sauce
• Gather all of the ingredients together.
• Heat the oil in a saucepan and whisk in the flour.
• Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth. Continue whisking over medium heat until it has thickened slightly.
• Add in the remaining ingredients.
• Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is the desired thickness you wish.
• Let cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.
How Do I Store Homemade Enchilada Sauce?
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- You can freeze this in portions in ziplock bags, or freeze in an ice cube tray.
- Remove the frozen cubes and place in a ziplock bag. This may be frozen for up to 3 months.
How Much Does This Recipe Make?
This recipe makes about 5 cups of enchilada sauce. You can double the recipe and make a larger batch if you need more sauce.
Delicious Mexican Inspired Recipes
If you make this delicious homemade red Enchilada Sauce recipe, please let me know. Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how it worked for you, and what recipes you use it in.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans Tomato Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano (or regular oregano)
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until it has thickened slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is the desired thickness you wish.
- Let cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.