Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is a creamy, classic homemade chocolate frosting recipe that is delicious on cakes and cupcakes. You only need 5 ingredients to whip up a batch of this very delicious chocolate frosting recipe!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
There are a lot of frosting recipes in the world, but the most popular, in my opinion, is the buttercream frosting recipe. And it is easy to make at home!
Today’s recipe is all about the chocolate American Buttercream frosting. My personal favorite!
What is Buttercream?
- Buttercream is butter and powdered sugar that are creamed together to form a sweet and spreadable frosting.
- Buttercream may also have vanilla, and sometimes a flavored extract or other type of flavorful ingredient, such as cocoa powder, added.
- There are other, more advanced buttercream frostings, but the American version is used by most home cooks.
- It forms a light “crust” when exposed to the air, which can be nice for transporting a cake or cupcakes.
Can Buttercream Frosting be Any Flavor?
Buttercream Frosting recipes can be made into many flavors! Some of my favorite are the basic, but delicious, vanilla buttercream, and also: peanut butter, peppermint, mocha, rum, and many more.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Tips
• Use room temperature to slightly cool butter. Not too soft, not too cold.
• Add less powdered sugar than the recipe calls for, then taste and add more as desired.
• Add the milk only 1 Tablespoon at a time. You want to get to a spreadable consistency, and not too “loose”.
Easy Recipes You Might Like
Does Homemade Buttercream Frosting Have to be Refrigerated?
- If you are going to use the frosting the next 5 days or so, buttercream frosting does need to be kept refrigerated until you use it.
- Place the frosting in an airtight container with plastic wrap covering the frosting, touching it, so it doesn’t get a “skin” on it. Put it in the fridge.
- Allow it come up to room temperature before using it. Once the buttercream frosting has warmed, re-whip it and it will be fluffy and easily spreadable again!.
If you made this yummy chocolate frosting recipe, please leave a comment with a star rating. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar, or to taste
- 3-5 Tbsp Milk, just enough to loosen it
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium-low speed.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix on low speed.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix, starting on low speed.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of the milk and mix in, then add another cup of the powdered sugar and mix it in.
- Add more milk if needed, just 1 Tablespoon at a time, until the frosting is at a spreadable consistency.
- Taste and add more powdered sugar to get to the sweetness you like. Then add a little more milk, if needed.
- Mix on medium-high speed to make the frosting fluffier.
- Use right away, or store in the fridge in an airtight container with plastic wrap covering the frosting, touching it, so it doesn't get a "skin" on it.
- Let chilled frosting come up to room temperature and re-whip it before spreading or piping.