Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs are flavorful and juicy. This delicious chicken recipe is so easy to make, with common ingredients. Making Barbecue Chicken Thighs in the oven makes this easy dinner recipe a family favorite.
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
This is an easy and quick dinner recipe that you can make on a weeknight, or whenever you want a quick meal. You can also make a lot at one time.
Chicken thighs are dark meat, which is more flavorful and juicier than white meat.
Can I Use Boneless/Skinless Thighs?
Yes you can. The main adjustment you will need to make is to the cook time. Since there is no bone, they will cook a little faster.
You can also use chicken breasts, and as with the other cuts of chicken, check the doneness with a digital meat thermometer. Overcooking dries out the meat, so you want to get the meat out of the oven when it gets to 165° F.
Can I Use a Store-Bought Spice Rub?
Sure! Use whatever you like. Try to choose one that pairs well with barbecue sauce.
However, if you make this recipe’s spice mix, try doubling the recipe or make even more, then store it in a jar with an air-tight lid so you have some for the next time you make this Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs recipe.
How to Make Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
Mix up the spices in a small bowl. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
Brush both sides of the chicken thighs with olive oil. You can also use avocado oil or other good-tasting light oil.
Sprinkle the spice mixture onto both sides of the chicken thighs.
Make sure the skin side is facing up. Bake the chicken thighs, then take the pan out of the oven.
Brush both sides of the chicken thighs with bbq sauce, making sure the skin side is up. Then set oven to broil and broil the tops to caramelize the sauce.
You Might Also Like
What to Serve With BBQ Chicken Thighs?
My favorite side dish to eat with these yummy bbq chicken thighs is Mashed Potatoes.
If you make these delicious oven baked chicken thighs, please let me know! Just leave a comment below with a star rating.
I’d love to know how you liked them!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Baking Sheet Pan
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 3 pounds Chicken Thighs (bone-in, skin on) about 8 thighs
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Barbecue Sauce (use your favorite)
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the chicken thighs on the prepared baking sheet and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the chicken thighs.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides of the chicken thighs.
- Make sure the skin side is up. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165° F. Try not to overcook.
- Remove from the oven and brush barbecue sauce on both sides of the chicken thighs, keep the skin side up.
- Switch the oven setting to Broil and place the pan back in the oven about 8 inches from the heating element. Let the bbq sauce caramelize. Watch it as the sugar in bbq sauce can burn quickly!
- Serve hot and enjoy!