Easy Classic Meatloaf is delicious, and tastes like the one mom made. It is very easy to make a meatloaf that is tasty and filling, and will feed the family. This is an easy weeknight dinner.
Easy Classic Meatloaf
There isn’t a meal I can think of that brings into mind classic Americana the way that a meatloaf can.
When parents were trying to make their food dollars stretch, the trusty meatloaf would no doubt be on the menu as a budget friendly meal.
A Versatile Recipe
One of the great things about a meatloaf, besides being an economical meal, is that it can be made with what you have on hand.
Everything from cheese, herbs, vegetables, different spices, and flavorful toppings can be added or swapped around.
You can also use half beef and half sausage, or make a turkey meatloaf. There are even vegetarian loafs!
The steps to make this Easy Classic Meatloaf are simple. Here they are:
Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix them together. Don’t overmix!
Press the meat mixture into a loaf pan.
Mix up the sauce topping. This is so yummy!
Spread the topping over the meatloaf and bake it.
Your house will smell amazing!
You can get 6 good sized servings or 8 slightly smaller servings from this meatloaf recipe.
You Might Also Like
Pin This Recipe
Easy Classic Meatloaf is a retro meatloaf recipe. This is the meatloaf my mom made. This recipe is easy to customize.
- 1 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs (panko, plain, or seasoned)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 lg Egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Finely Diced Onion
- 1/4 cup Finely Diced Carrot (optional)
- 1/4 cup Diced Green Pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, egg, onion, carrot, bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients together, but do not overmix.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the loaf pan and press it in, but don’t pack it too tightly.
Make the Sauce Topping
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix together the ketchup, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar.
- Pour the sauce over the meatloaf and spread evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 155°-160°.
- Allow the meatloaf to stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving it.
• Add 1 cup of shredded cheese
• Add 1 tsp smoked paprika
• Substitute half of the ground beef with ground sausage
• Use ground turkey
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 405
Keywords: meatloaf recipe, old fashioned meatloaf recipe
Resources to Make this Meatloaf Recipe and More
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.