This Beef and Noodles recipe is incredibly easy and so satisfying, filling, and packed with delicious flavor. It’s a classic casserole recipe that you make on the stovetop. this beefy noodles recipe been around for years and years but we put our special twist on it to make it a meal you won’t be quick to forget.
Beef and Noodles recipe
Get ready to enjoy a plate of wide egg noodles smothered in a thick beef gravy sauce because this comfort meal is going to become a favorite.
Beef and Noodles - The Ultimate Comfort Meal
This recipe is homemade comfort food, and easy to make and bring together. The flavor and the compliments you will get makes this a recipe worth repeating.
Beef and Noodles made on the stovetop in your favorite pot is such a tasty meal. It’s simple and something the whole family will be asking for again and again. You know anything made in the Dutch oven is full of flavors that you can’t resist.
You won’t need any crazy ingredients, just pantry staple ingredients you already have. No need to run to the store just to make this Beef and Noodles dinner recipe.
How To Make Beef and Noodles
Gather all of the ingredients together. Add the cubed beef to a bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir well. Then sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir to coat all of the pieces.
Heat half butter in the pot over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the diced onion and the bay leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to turn translucent. Then remove the onion and bay leaves to a plate and set aside.
Add the remaining butter to the pot. Then add the beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Brown in 2 batches. Then add all of the meat back into the pot.
Pour the beef broth into the pot and add the bouillon. Use a wood spoon to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to get up all of the browned bits (deglaze).
Add the onion and bay leaves back into the pot, along with the thyme and Dijon mustard, then stir to combine. Let simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, partially covered.
While the meat and broth are simmering, cook and drain the egg noodles according to the instructions on the package.
Add the cooked egg noodles and half and the half to the pot and gently stir. Then serve.
What To Serve With Beef And Noodles?
Beef and Noodles can be a pretty solid meal in itself, but it’s nice to round out the dish with some vegetables or a salad for a complete nutritious meal.
Our Classic Cucumber Salad is a great side salad to pair with this hearty dish. But sometimes you need a nice hunk of Skillet Cornbread with your noodles and beef. Easy Coleslaw Recipe is another tasty side dish to serve with this easy dinner recipe.
How Can You Change Up Beef Noodles?
We think this Beef and Noodles recipe is on point. It’s simple, nothing over the top, but full of so much flavor from the fantastic spices and herbs we add to the sauce mixture.
You can bring even more flavor to this dish by adding in more spices or herbs, Worcestershire sauce, or sour cream, as you prefer. Feel free to add in other flavors that you may like as well. Maybe try some mushrooms or frozen vegetables.
How Do You Thicken Beef And Noodles?
Add some cornstarch to your gravy sauce if the sauce isn’t thick enough for you. If you want to thicken your beef and noodles without cornstarch, mix some flour and water together to create a slurry and mix that into the sauce and simmer briefly.
How To Store Leftovers?
Leftover pasta and beef can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Noodles And Beef?
Yes, you can freeze this meal easily. In fact, this noodle and beef recipe freezes really well. Once it’s cooled off, transfer it to a freezer safe container and store for up to 3 months. Thaw and follow instructions below for reheating.
How To Reheat
To reheat your meal, you can toss in a little extra beef broth or milk with the Beef and noodles in a saucepan and reheat it on the stovetop. You can also reheat in the microwave but I find the stovetop reheats it a little more evenly and easier.
Beef and Noodle Variations
- You can swap out the beef chuck roast for other cuts of beef. This could bring other flavors to your recipe with more or less fat. Feel free to choose different choices of meat the next time you go to make this dish.
- Instead of egg noodles, try different noodle choices. However, I do find that using a wider, heartier noodle is better to help soak up some of the beef broth for flavor. Think linguine and fettuccine over angel hair spaghetti. Reames® brand frozen egg noodles are super thick and delicious, though may require extra broth
- For a richer, creamier sauce, you can add in some heavy cream instead of half and half. Or use plain yogurt or sour cream.
More Delicious Beef Recipes
Beef and Noodles is truly a meal the whole family will love. Grab all of these simple ingredients and enjoy a belly warming, family meal around the table together.
If you make this tasty Beef and Noodles recipe, let me know! Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I'd like to know how you liked it!
Beef and Noodles Recipe
- 5-quart Dutch Oven or Soup Pot
- 2 pounds Beef Chuck Roast, cubed (or buy precut stew meat)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 small Onion, diced (or shallot)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon® (or 2 beef bouillon cubes)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves (or dried leaves, not ground)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 8 oz Extra Wide Egg Noodles*
- ½ cup Half and Half (or heavy cream)
- Add the cubed beef to a bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir well. Then sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir to coat all of the pieces.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of the butter in the pot on medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the diced onion and the bay leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to turn translucent. Then remove the onion and bay leaves to a plate and set aside
- Add the remaining butter to the pot. Then add the beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Brown in 2 batches. Then add all of the meat back into the pot.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot and add the bouillon. Use a wood spoon to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to get up all of the browned bits (deglaze).
- Add the onion and bay leaves back into the pot, along with the thyme and Dijon mustard, then stir to combine. Let simmer on low heat for 25 minutes, partially covered.
- While the broth is simmering, cook and drain the egg noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the cooked egg noodles and half and half to the pot and gently stir.
- Taste and adjust salt, if needed, and serve.